Page images
[ocr errors]

Private August Johnson, in foot; Private William H. Case, in breast. Remained in position on the same hill, supporting our advancing infantry by firing at the rebel batteries, rifle-pits, and railroad bridge, until the morning of the 16th, when we went into Resaca, which the enemy had evacuated the night previous. Started again at 11 a. m., marching on Calhoun road, and crossed the Catahoula [Oostenaula] River at 4.30 p. m; marched until the 19th of May, when we went into camp one mile and a half south of Kingston, where we remained until the 23d.

Crossed the Etowah River, and marched without much opposition until we arrived at Dallas on the 26th ; then, after changing position several times during the day, and having 1 man (John A. Anderson) wounded in knee, on the 27th I was placed in position by Colonel Taylor, with the Fourth Division, to engage a rebel battery of eight guns 1,200 yards off. Fought several brisk duels during the day, and on the 28th the enemy charged along our whole front, but was repulsed with heavy loss. Had 3 men wounded-Corpl. John J. Buckland, in shoulder; Artificer Frederic Dohmeyer, in shoulder ; Private John C. Haggerstrom, shoulder. On the 29th, 8 p. m., took battery to the rear, in a new line of works, to protect our corps, which was to swing back that night; but this was not done until the 1st of June, when we marched to the left and relieved the Twentieth Army Corps. Went into position on the 2d in the center of our division. Withdrew on the 4th, and took up a position with the Fourth Army Corps, relieving the Eleventh Indiana Battery.

The enemy evacuated during the night, and we marched for Acworth on the 5th, where we arrived on the 6th, and remained until the 10th, when we advanced on Kenesaw Mountain, passed Big Shanty 9 a. m., and went into position. Remained in reserve with division until the 15th, when I was ordered to assist the Seventeenth Army Corps batteries. On the 16th went into position, with the Second Brigade, in front of Kenesaw Mountain and fought the the enemy's batteries until he evacuated on 19th. Following him up, we went into position on a knoll with the Seventeenth Army Corps to engage rebel batteries on top of Big Kenesaw. Fought duels every day; also fired at their camp at long range until the 30th, when I withdrew my battery and parked with our corps, then in

July 2, marched with the division to the extreme right of our line, and went into position, relieving a battery of the Twenty-third Army Corps. July 3, went into position to engage rebel battery while the Second Brigade, of our division, charged their line at Nickajack Creek. July 4, moved to the front, with the division, to support the Sixteenth Army Corps, which charged about 5 p. m. July 5, marched on Sandtown road, and went into position on a high hill with the Seventeenth Army Corps ; fired at a rebel fort and battery 3,500 yards off with good effect. July 6, seeing a dust supposed to be made by a column marching and crossing Chattahoochee River on a pontoon bridge, about 5,000 yards distant, we shelled them all afternoon, and as prisoners afterward said, with very good effect. July 7, went into position in the advanced line, with the Seventeenth Army Corps, and engaged the rebel batteries. Withdrew on the 8th in the evening and remained in camp until the 12th, when we marched, passing through Marietta on the 13th, and parked again near Roswell, on the Chattahoochee River. Crossed


[ocr errors]

the river on the 14th and went into position, while our infantry threw up very strong works. Remained here until the 17th, when we started for the Augusta railroad. Struck the road on the 18th and went into position at night. Advanced again the following morning and took up position in Decatur about 4 p. m. Advanced on the 20th, taking up position several times during the day and engaging rebel batteries. * At 1 o'clock fired three shells into Atlanta at a distance of two miles and a half, the first ones of the war. On the 21st went into position (under protest) with a range of only ten yards, and in front of our line of works, by order of Brig. Gen. M. L. Smith. July 22, advanced again, and occupying the works evacuated by the enemy the night previous. I went into position at the extreme right of our division to engage three rebel batteries which were firing at our advancing columns; was ordered to keep up a continuous fire. There was a gap of at least 800 yards between my battery and the First Division, which fact I reported several times. The enemy charged our works about 4 p. m.; was repulsed in my front, but broke through our center, and changing front charged my battery, which I was obliged to leave after spiking the guns, and after all my support had left me. As soon as my battery was recaptured I had the guns unspiked and fired again at the retreating enemy. One of my guns, injured since the 25th of June, burst at the third round. My losses * on that day were very

. heavy-14 men, 39 horses, 1 limber, ambulance, and harness. Replaced lost horses and harness from Battery A, and had battery in marching order by 9 o'clock the following day. July 27, withdrew the battery and marched all night, with division, to the extreme right of our lino ; went into position in rear of our line, and advanced into position July 31, firing at the rebel forts and city.

Took up position again in our new line of works August 3, and fired considerable at rebel batteries, rifle and skirmish pits; had 2 men wounded on the 13th. Remained in same position until the night of the 26th, when we withdrew, and, marching all night, went into camp August 27. Started again the following day, and went into

camp about 2 p. m. on the West Point railroad. Started again on the 30th, and although our infantry was skirmishing continually, marched twelve miles. Battery crossed Flint River about 9 a. m. on the 31st, and went into position to protect the flank; fired considerable at the rebel columns moving and rifle-pits. The enemy charged our line about 4 p. m., and, moving one gun to the riflepits, fired twenty-seven rounds of canister; had 1 man wounded by shell, Private Henry Rahmeyer.

September 1, moved one section to the extreme left of our line to engage the enemy's batteries firing at the Fourteenth Army Corps, which was advancing ; lost 1 man killed, Corpl. Frank Whistler. September 2, marched through Jonesborough, following up the enemy who had evacuated the night previous, and went into camp at 6 p. m., in reserve, with the division. September 5, left camp and returned to Jonesborough.

This campaign has been a very severe one on my battery, especially as I started out unprepared, caused by circumstances, and being continually in the field and in position, could not supply my horses with such forage as the country would furnish, and was often without forage altogether.

* Nominal list (omitted) shows 3 men killed, 3 men wounded, and 8 men captured.

[ocr errors]

I cannot help but speak in the highest terms of Lieut. Robert S. Gray, Sergt. John McGeorg, and in fact of every man belonging to my battery. They have done no more than their duty, but they did it cheerfully, and the cases of Sergt. Peter S. Wyman, who was killed while spiking the last gun, [and] Private Richard Ray, who was shot because he refused to surrender, certainly speaks well for their bravery.

I have the honor to be, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

FRANCIS DE GRESS, Capt., Comdg. Company H, First Illinois Light Artillery. Capt. G. LOFLAND,

Asst. Adjt. Gen., Second Division, 15th Army Corps.

No. 487. Reports of Brig. Gen. John E. Smith, U. S. Army, commanding

Third Division, of affairs (May 17) at Madison Station, Ala., and (August 15) near Tilton, Ga. HDQRS. THIRD DIVISION, FIFTEENTH ARMY CORPS,

Huntsville, Ala., May 18, 1864. I have the honor to submit the following report concerning the recent movements of troops under my command for your information:

Learning that the enemy had crossed the river and was concentrating near Florence, on the 12th instant I telegraphed Brig. Gen. W. Q. Gresham, stationed at Athens, to direct Colonel Rowett to move with his command and Ninth Ohio Cavalry on Florence, and ascertain the amount of force gathered there, and, if he was not sufficiently strong to drive him across the river, to learn all facts connected therewith and report as soon as possible.

About 9.30 a. m. yesterday, the 17th instant, a man belonging to the detachment of Fifth Iowa Infantry, stationed at Indian Creek, came in and reported that Madison Station had been attacked, and that heavy cannonading was heard in that direction. Soon after, a man belonging to the Thirteenth Illinois Infantry reached town, stating that the station had been attacked from all directions by a large force, estimated at from 1,000 to 3,000 men, with four pieces of artillery, and that as the regiment was entirely surrounded it would no doubt be captured. He also stated that the attack was made at 8 a. m., while mounting guard, and that the first that was known of the presence of the enemy they were firing into their camp. Upon hearing this report, and learning that a train of cars which started out in the morning had just returned, I immediately ordered out the Fifth Ohio Cavalry, and also ordered up from Whitesburg the Eighteenth Wisconsin Infantry, and directed Col. G. B. Raum, commanding Second Brigade, stationed at Larkinsville, to send by train one regiment of his command. While waiting the arrival of these regiments, proceeded to arm all detachments, convalescent soldiers, teamsters, &c., unarmed, in order that every man could be made available, and at the same time made preparations for defense in and around town by placing cotton in position, and also putting ammunition, &c., in secure and accessible places. About 10 o'clock I started by train the Fifty-ninth Indiana Infantry, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Scott, toward Madison, with intention to hold the balance of the force in town, having heard that the enemy had

[ocr errors]

made his appearance near town on road leading south west, until the Eighteenth Wisconsin and Seventeenth Iowa reached this place. About the middle of the afternoon Colonel Alexander, with the Forty-eight Indiana and one battery, left here by rail for Madison. On reaching there they found that the Fifty-ninth Indiana, a part of the Thirteenth Illinois, with the Fifth Ohio Cavalry—125 menhad already recaptured the station, and were then following the enemy in their retreat toward Triana, near which place they had crossed the river the night previous. The enemy being mounted and our cavalry being insufficient, the infantry could hardly be expected to do them much damage. They did, however, manage to overtake their rear guard, with whom they skirmished, killing 1 man, wounding several, and captured 4 prisoners and some 30 or 40 horses. Our loss during the skirmishing was 2 or 3 wounded. At present, having received no official report from Colonel Gorgas, I am unable to give his losses, but they are supposed to be some 40 or 50 missing, but a few wounded, and I am unable to learn of any one having been killed. They burned the station-house, cut the telegraph wire, but it was repaired and in running order the same night; the railroad unharmed. All the regimental property of the Thirteenth Illinois was captured and carried off or destroyed, including regimental train, camp and garrison equipage, men's clothing, blankets, &c. A full report has been ordered of Colonel Gorgas, and will be forwarded as soon as received. The Fifth Iowa Infantry Veterans returned to Decatur Saturday, and were ordered to take position along the railroad at and near Madison Station to strengthen that line. Preparatory to moving there the regimental baggage, camp and garrison equipage, and records of the regiment, which had been stored at this place, were taken by cars to Madison Station on Monday, the 16th instant. The whole of this property was destroyed, and 6 of the men left in charge of it were taken prisoners.

I have just received a dispatch from General Gresham, stating that Rowett on his return reports having driven the enemy across the Tennessee at Florence, killing several and capturing 24 men, whom he has with him. We have reports of the enemy gathering in several places througbout the country on this side of the river, who have crossed the river in small squads. It is also reportec that those on the south side are moving up in the direction of Bridgeport or Chattanooga, no doubt to strike at the weakest place in our line of communication. From the force I have, extended as it is along the line, it is totally impossible for me to operate against them successfully, but must content myself in endeavoring to secure the line of communication.

I learn that I was misinformed in regard to the telegraph line being cut near Winchester, as per telegram of this date to MajorGeneral McPherson. There is, however, a considerable force of the enemy in the vicinity of Winchester and Fayetteville.

Since writing the above, Colonel Gorgas' official report has been received, which is herewith inclosed, * and from all the information obtained I am led to believe that he was culpably negligent. I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Brigadier-General. Maj. R. R. TOWNES, Assistant Adjutant-General, Fifteenth Army Corps.

* See of May 17, p. 271.





Cartersville, Ga., September 14, 1864. MAJOR : In compliance with your directions of date August 25, 1864, I have the honor to transmit the reports of Lieutenant-Colonel Archer, commanding Seventeenth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, stationed at Tilton, Ga.; also report of Captain Snodgrass, commanding detachment of same regiment, stationed at watertank, north of Tilton. From the reports it will be perceived that there were no casualties previous to the surrender of the stockade at water-tank, and that little or no defense was made. How far this was justifiable it is impossible for me to determine. It is evident they thought there was an overwhelming force, and in the absence of any other information, take it for granted that the officers are correct in their reports. The regiment has always behaved well since being in my command (previous to which I have no knowledge of it), and unless I should see it could not believe it would be otherwise. I am, major, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Brigadier-General. Maj. S. B. MOE, Assistant Adjutant-General.

[ocr errors]

No. 488. Reports of Col. Green B. Raum, Fifty-sixth Illinois Infantry, com

manding. Second Brigade, of attack (May 19) on train near Bellefonte, Ala. ; capture of train (July 5) near Tilton, Ga. ; combats (August 14–15) at and near Dalton, Ga., and affair (August 15) near Tilton, Ga.

LARKINSVILLE, May 19, 1864. At 1 o'clock this morning 8 cars were thrown off the track two miles east of Bellefonte by the removal of a rail. The train was attacked by about forty men. Colonel Hall and Major Welsh each sent two companies to relieve the train. After some firing the rebels withdrew. The engine went to Stevenson. .

GREEN B. RAUM. Lieut. C. L. WHITE, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

RESACA, July 5, 1864–12 p. m. A train of 16 cars has been captured and burned three and a half miles south of Dalton to night. Colonel Murray sent 200 men out in that direction this evening. The enemy is reported to be 300 strong. I have advised Colonel Murray to send out an additional force.


Colonel, Commanding Brigade. Capt. C. L. WHITE, Assistant Adjutant-General.

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]


Resaca, Ga., July 14, 1864. In compliance with the order from your headquarters, referring a communication from the headquarters of the district to the general

« PreviousContinue »