Page images


it was recalled in consequence of a formidable advance of the enemy's infantry on the road leading into Spotsylvania Court-House from the Block house. The division then retired to Alsop's, where it remained encamped until we started for the raid around Richmond, which commenced on the morning of the 8th [9th] of May at 5 a.

On the morning of the 9th 10th] the enemy, who had succeeded in coming up with us at the North Anna, commenced shelling our camp. This brigade was immediately deployed and drove back the enemy's skirmishers and covered the crossing of the North Anna. The brigade moving with the division, crossed the South Anna at Ground Squirrel Bridge on the afternoon of the 10th of May, and went into camp.

Nothing further of importance occurred until the action near Yellow Tavern, where only our flankers became slightly engaged. At 9 p. m. on the 11th instant [May] the division moved in advance of the corps, this brigade in rear of the Second Brigade, when at daybreak on the morning of the 12th of May the Second Brigade became engaged with the enemy, who were strongly posted in earth-works thrown up across the road. The Second Brigade immediately formed in line of battle, and Lieutenant Fitzhugh's battery, attached to this brigade, opened on the enemy, when å lively cannonade ensued. Finding it impossible to drive the enemy from his position, my brigade was ordered to withdraw and form on Strawberry Hill, and to connect, if possible, with the Second Division. After forming my brigade on the outside edge of the woods on Strawberry Hill, and about 500 or 600 yards from the enemy's breast-works, I was ordered to hold my position, but the enemy soon after, about midday, having been re-enforced, made a determined advance on my position. I at once applied to Brigadier-General Wilson for help from the Second Brigade, as I was too weak to repel the attack, my brigade at that time numbering about 700 effective men.

In consequence of not receiving the help I asked, I was driven from my position and obliged to fall back behind a knoll, where, being covered by Lieutenant Fitzhugh's battery, the enemy were checked and finally driven back, being unable to hold the thin skirt of woods which were immediately under the guns of Lieutenant Fitzhugh's battery, and which were worked with remarkable precision. In the mean time the bridge over the Chickahominy being carried by the First Division, we retired and marched to Mechanicsville and relieved Colonel Gibbs on the Pole Green road, who was then engaged with one brigade of the enemy's cavalry. We skirmished until dark, and about 10 o'clock retired cautiously, covering the flank of the corps; moved toward Gaines' Mill and camped at Hogan's house.

May 13, left Hogan's house at daybreak, then moved toward Scott's Depot, and camped on the New Kent Court-House road near the railroad depot and near Bottom's Bridge. At 4 a. m. of the 14th May moved toward New Kent Court-House, halted, then countermarched, and crossed the Chickahominy at Bottom's Bridge and moved on toward Malvern Hill by way of White Oak Swamp and Glendale farm. In the afternoon we moved down to Haxall's Landing and went into camp. On the 15th and 16th were busy receiving supplies. At 8 p. m. of the 17th May we broke camp and marched for Jones' Bridge, which we crossed at daylight of the 18th.

May 18, at 2 p. m. of the same day we moved toward Baltimore Cross-Roads and camped at Olivet Church. At 5 a. m. of the 19th

[ocr errors]

May we marched to Baltimore Cross-Roads, where we halted for the rest of the day and night. At 6 a. m. of the 20th we marched toward Cold Harbor and camped within 3 miles of that place, sending out two regiments on picket.

At 3 a. m. May 22 left camp near Dr. Tyler's house and marched to the White House, arriving at 9 a. m. Here we received supplies and went into camp. At 5 a. m. of the 23d May we broke camp and crossed the Pamunkey on the railroad bridge and then moved briskly toward the Mattapony, camping for the night at Dunkirk (Elliotsville) and picketing the Richmond and New Castle roads. 5 a. m., May 24, moved toward Aylett's, then marched west in the direction of Hanover Court-House, passed Concord Church, and went into camp near Reedy Swamp Creek and White Chimney, picketing the Hanover Junction road. On the morning of the 25th of May we broke camp, passed by Chesterfield Station, and after having rejoined the army went into camp at Coleman's Mill. At 5 a. m., 26th May, left the milldam and moved to the left of the army, crossed the North Anna at Jericho Mills, and marched to Little River. There my bri- . gade went into position and made a demonstration on the enemy's lines. At midnight we fell back, recrossed the North Anna at Butler's Bridge, and about 4 a. m. on the 27th bivouacked near the river. At this point the Fifth New York Cavalry, under Lieutenant-Colonel Hammond, rejoined the brigade. Early on the morning of the 27th May we moved to Carmel Church, then brought up the rear of the Second, Ninth, and Fifth Army Corps, and went into camp near Chesterfield Station.

On the 28th May we marched to Mangohick Church by way of Bethlehem Church. The Third New Jersey Cavalry, Col. A. J. Morrison, reported to my brigade on this day. On the following day we pushed onto Price's Creek. Here we halted to allow the wagon trains of the Fifth, Sixth, and Ninth Army Corps to pass ; here, too, Lieutenant-Colonel Purington, commanding Second Ohio Cavalry, reported with his command to my brigade.

Early on the morning of the 31st we moved toward Crump's Creek, crossing the Pamunkey at Hanovertown, met the enemy, and drove him after a brisk skirmish. The division then halted and went into position opposite Winston's house. In the afternoon we advanced, the enemy appearing in force. I dismounted my brigade, forced á passage over the bridge, and after a brisk fight drove the enemy from the field and occupied Hanover Court-House, where we halted for the night.

At daybreak of the 1st of June one regiment of my brigade, supported by Colonel Chapman's brigade, was sent to destroy the rail. road bridge over the Pamunkey; this was effectually done, while I with three regiments of my brigade, the Fifth New York, Second Ohio, and First Connecticut, pushed on to Ashland. We skirmished with the enemy all the time of our advance. At Ashland we were engaged destroying the railroad, when we were attacked by two divisions of the enemy's cavalry, when a fierce fight ensued. After three hours' successful resistance against so superior a force, I withdrew with the three regiments of my command, and retiring down the railroad rejoined the Second Brigade. Both brigades then fell back to Winston's house, and bivouacked for the night. The report of casualties during this engagement has already been forwarded. On the morning of June 3 we met the enemy near Haw's Shop and succeeded in driving him from his rifle-pits. On the morning of the


6th of June my brigade crossed the Totopotomoy, and went into camp at Old Church, having two regiments picketing from the right of our infantry line at Allen's Mill to the Pamunkey. About 10 o'clock of the 10th June the enemy attacked and drove in our pickets, but was quickly repulsed. The next morning at 2.30 I was ordered to make a reconnaissance on the Richmond and Shady Grove roads.

I was supported by two regiments of colored troops. On arriving at the junction of the Shady Grove and Richmond roads, I sent Lieutenant-Colonel Brinton, with the Eighteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry and Second Ohio Cavalry, up the Shady Grove road, while I proceeded down the Richmond road with the Fifth New York and Second New York, driving the enemy's skirmishers before me, and capturing 1 of them. We drove the enemy till we came upon their camp, which proved to be the left of Longstreet's corps, encamped behind earth-works, now swarming with men. I then withdrew to Old Church, after having been joined by Lieutenant-Colonel Brinton.

Here several detachments of the First and Second Divisions reported to me for duty during the absence of their commands with Major-General Sheridan. All night of June 12, and all day June 13, my brigade covered the rear of the army, and crossed the Chickahominy at Long Bridge. At 2.30 a. m. of the 14th, we bivouacked

m at Ware's house on the road to Wilcox's Landing.

On the 14th June we proceeded to Charles City Court-House. Here I received orders to countermarch to Saint Mary's Church, which I did, skirmishing with the enemy the entire distance, and driving him before me. At daylight of the 15th moved forward to Smith's Store, where we met the enemy's pickets. About 12 o'clock we became hotly engaged with him, the fight lasting for three hours. The enemy being re-enforced, I withdrew the brigade to Saint Mary's Church, where we bivouacked for the night. The next day, June 16, was spent in intrenching my position, but at dark received orders to march to the pontoon bridge across the James, which we did, crossing the river on the morning of the 17th, and went into camp about 2 miles from Prince George Court-House on the morning of the 18th.

Here the brigade remained encamped till the 22d of June, when it started on the expedition against the South Side and Danville railroads. A full report of the operations of the brigade on that expedition has already been forwarded.

In closing this report, it is due to me to say that my personal baggage having been captured on the expedition against the Danville railroad, all the data which I had to base my report upon were lost. Having communicated that fact to the brigadier-general commanding the division in an official communication, I was ordered to make out the report, basing as many facts as possible from memory. On this account this report is not as detailed as I should like, but it is submitted as it is, believing it to be as near correct as I can make it. Very, respectfully,


Colonel, Commanding Brigade. Capt. L. SIEBERT,

Assistant Adjutant-General.

No. 213. Report of Maj. George 0. Marcy, First Connecticut Cavalry, of

operations June 1-10. HDQRS. FIRST CONNECTICUT CAVALRY, July 24, 1864. SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations of the First Connecticut Cavalry from June 1, 1864, to July 3, 1864, during which time I was in command of the regiment:

On the 1st of June Lieutenant-Colonel Blakeslee, then commanding the regiment, being wounded, I assumed command on the night of the 1st, and marched the regiment in rear of a battery of the Third U.S. Artillery, from Ashland to Hanover Court-House, arriving at the latter place at about 11 o'clock of same night. In the morning, June 2, the regiment was ordered out on picket, and held a picket-line in the edge of the woods, the right resting on the road leading to Hanover Court-House, and left on the railroad. The picket-line being east of the town was recalled about sundown, June 2, and ordered to join the brigade, about a mile back. The regiment marched with the brigade the same night to Linney's house, at junction of roads leading to White House Landing and Cold Harbor. On the morning of June 3 we marched to the vicinity of Haw's Store, and did picket duty for a day or two. At or about June 7, we went into camp near Ruffin's house, on the banks of the Pamunkey River. The regiment was immediately detailed for picket duty. I established and held a line, the right of which rested at Butler's house, on Cold Harbor road, the left connecting with the infantry picket of the Ninth Army Corps. I held this line for forty-eight hours. On or about the 10th day of June I was ordered with the regiment on picket duty. One squadron, commanded by Capt. Joseph Backus, was ordered to report to Colonel Brinton, of the Eighteenth Pennsylvania, and while in command of a reserve post near Linney's house, the post was attacked by a body of the enemy's cavalry, and Captain Backus killed. Six men, belonging to Companies K and E, were reported missing. On or about the night of the 12th of June the regiment marched with the brigade from its encampment near Ruffin's house to the junction of Cold Harbor and Old Church roads. *

GEO. O. MARCY, Major, Commanding First Connecticut 'Cav. Capt. CHARLES H. MILLER,

Asst. Adjt. Gen., 1st Brig., 3d Div., Cav. Corps.

No. 214.
Report of Lieut. Col. Charles C. Suydam, Third New Jersey Cav-


Near Light-House Point, Va., July 25, 1864. CAPTAIN : I have the honor to make the following report of operations of this regiment during the present campaign, from May 4, 1864, to the present date :

On May 4, 1864, the regiment being then attached to the Ninth Army Corps, lay in camp at Bristoe Station all day under orders to be in readiness to move at a moment's notice.

* For continuation of report, see Vol. XL, Part I.

At 2 a. m. of the 5th, in pursuance of orders, we broke camp and marched by way of Rappahannock Station to the Rapidan, which we crossed at Germanna Ford in the afternoon of the same day, and went into camp about 2 miles south of the river on the main road.

At 1 a. m. of the 6th of May we broke camp, recrossed the Rapidan at Germanna Ford, taking position on the north bank of the river and picketing and scouting the country toward Culpeper, Stevensburg, and Richardsville, and up and down the Rapidan. On the afternoon of the 7thi moved to Ely's Ford, thence to Richards' Ford, where we crossed ; thence to United States Ford. During these movements the scouting parties of the enemy were frequently met, and the regiment suffered a loss of 1 sergeant and 5 men taken prisoners at Stevensburg. On the morning of the 8th we moved to Chancellorsville; thence to Zion Church, where we reported to Brigadier-General Ferrero, commanding Fourth Division, Ninth Army Corps. From that date the regiment was on duty picketing toward the Wilderness and at United States and Banks' Fords, covering the rear and right flank of the army operating in front of Spotsylvania Court-House. This duty. was performed in company with the Fifth New York and Second Ohio Cavalry. The casualties were not numerous. On the 22d May the regiment moved with the troops of Brigadier-General Ferrero's command to near Guiney's Station.

On the 23d marched to a point 2 miles south of Bowling Green, and on the 24th to, Wright's Tavern, having crossed the Mattapony near Milford Station. From the time of leaving Zion Church until relieved from duty with the Ninth Army Corps the regiment was engaged in assisting General Ferrero in covering the movements of the trains of the army, and in efforts to check the lawless outrages of stragglers in the rear of the main body of troops. On May 27 relieved from duty with Ninth Army Corps and ordered to report to Brigadier-General Wilson, commanding Third Division, Cavalry Corps. Marched same day and encamped near Concord Church (or Chesterfield Station). Reported that evening to General Wilson and assigned by him to First Brigade, Col. J. B. McIntosh commanding.

Marched May 28 to Mangohick Church. Marched May 29 to near Dabney's Ferry. May 30, went on picket toward Taylor's Ford. May 31, moved to Price's house.

June 1 and 2, the division having gone to Atlee's Station, the regiment and the Eighth New York remained near Hanover CourtHouse, covering the rear of the division, keeping up connection with the right of the army and tearing up a portion of the Virginia Central Railroad. During the night of June 2 moved with the division on the road toward Old Church and encamped beyond the Totopotomoy Creek.

June 3, recrossed the Totopotomoy and moved to near Talley's house, where the regiment supported a battery in the engagement which the division had with the enemy. After the engagement went into camp near Talley's and remained there during the 3d, 4th, and 5th.

On the 6th moved to near Old Church Tavern. Remained in camp 7th.

June 8, went on picket and remained on picket during the 9th and part of the 10th. On the evening of the 12th the regiment moved, covering the movements of the army to James River, and

« PreviousContinue »