« PreviousContinue »
7. Nevertheless, I tell you the Truth ; It is expedient for you, that I go away : for if I go not away, the ComFORTER will not come unto you, but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8. And when he is come, he will reprove the World of Sin, and of Righteousness, and of Judgment :
9. Of Sin, because they BELIEVE not on me;
10. Of RIGHTEOUSNESS, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more ;
11. OF JUDGMENT, because the Prince of this world is judged..
12. I have yet many Things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13. How beit, when he the SPIRIT of Truth is come, he will guide you into all Truth: for ke Thall not speak of himself : but whatsoever he had hear, that shall he speak : and he will shew you Things to come. * 14. He shall glorify me': for he Thall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15. All Things that the Father hath, are mine : Therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew, it unto you.
16. A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me : because I go to the Father.
19. Then said some of bis Disciples among themselves, What is this that he faith unto us, A little while and ye Shall not see me: and again, A little while and ye Thall see me : and, Because I go to the Father ?
18. They said therefore, What is this that he faith, A little while? We cannot tell what he faith.
19. Now Jesus knew that they were defirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye inquire among your selves of that I said, A little while and ye shall not see me: and again, A little while and ye shall see me?. .
20. Verily, verily I say unto you, that ye shall weep and lament, but the World shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your Sorrow shall be turned into Joy.
21. A Woman when she is in travail, hath Sorrow, because her Hour is come : but as soon as she is delivered of the Child, she remembreth no more the Anguifh, for Joy that a Man is born into the World.
22. And ye now therefore have Sorrow : but I will
21. her Hour iscembreth no word.
see you again, and your Heart shall rejoice, and your Joy no Man taketh from you.
23. And in that Day ye shall ask me nothing : Verily, verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye * shall Ask the Fa. ther in my Name, he will GIVE it you.
24. Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my Name: Al, and ye shall receive, that your Joy may be full.
25. These Things have I fpoken unto you in Proverbs: the Time cometh when I shall no more speak unto you in Proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.
26. At that Day ye shall Ask in my NAME: and I fay unto you, that I will pray the Father for you : - 27. For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
28. I came forth from the Father, and am come into the World : Again, I leave the World, and go to the Father.
29. His Disciples faid unto him, Lo, now speakeft thou plainly, and speakest no Proverb.
30. Now are we sure that thou knoweft all Things, and needest not that any Man Should ask thee : by this we believe that thou camest forth from God..
31. Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe ?
32. Behold, the Hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every Man to his own, and shall leave me alone : and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
33. These Things have I spoken unto you, that in me ye might have PEACE. In the World ye shall have TRIBULATION: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the World.
* See pag. Ixiii. Of the Efficacy of PRATER, in the APOLOGY to the Harmony of the PS ÄLMS.
C H A P. XVII.
This Chapter contains the folemn Address of our Sa
viour to his Almighty Father just before his Passion; wherein be prays that his Disciples might have Eternal Life, consisting in the Knowledge of God, and might be preferved in Unity and Truth; and that they and all other Believers might be glorified with bim: which seems to be the Pattern or Model of his Eternal Intercesion in the Heavens.
ETERN thee in Christ who
Ver. 1. THESE Words (a) Matt. AT that Time Jesus
a xi. 25. O said, I thank thec, ipake pejus, and O FATHER, Lord of Heaven and lift up his Eyes to Heaven, Earth, because thou halt hid these and said, FATHER, the Things from the wise and pru
dent, and hast revealed them unto
seemed good in thy fight.
27. All Things are delivercd un
to me of my father : and no Man Power over all FLESH, that KNOWEth the Son but the Father : he should give ETERNAL neither KNOWETH any Man the LIFE to as many as thou
Father, save the Son, and he to
whomsoever the Son will reveal haft given him.
3. (a) And this is LIFE 28. Come unto me, all ye that ETERNAL, that they might LABOUR, and are heavy laden, and
I will give you REST. KNOW thee the only true 29. Take my YOKE upon you, God, and Jesus Christ whom and learn of me, for I am meek thou hast sent.
and lowly in Heart, and ye shall
find REST unto your Sonis. 4. I have glorified thee on
30. For my Yoke is EASY, and the Earth ; I have finished my Burden is LIGHT the Work which thou gavest John xiv. 6. Felius faith unto
him, I am the Way, and the Truth, me to do. .
and the Life. 5. And now, O Father, Rom. vi. 22. But now being made glorify thou me with thine free from Sin, and become Serown self with the GLORY vants to God, ye have your Fruit
unto Holiness, and the End everwhich I had with thee before lasting Life. the World was.
23. For the Wages of Sin is 6. I have MANIFESTED
Death : but the Gift of God is
Eternal Life, through Jefu Christ thy NAME unto the Men our Lord. which thou gavest me out of fer. xxxi. 34. And they shall the World: thine they were. teach no more every Man his Neigh
à bour, and every Man his Brother,
and thou gaveft them me ; saying, Know the Lord : For they
Dhiall all KNOW me, from the Icait and they have kept thy of them yaco the greatest of them, Word.
faith the Lord: for I will forgive . Now they have known their INIQUITY, and I will remem
.ber their STN no more. that all Things whatsoever be
Hof. vi. 6. For I desired MERCY, thou haft giveo me, are of and not Sacrifice : and the KNOWthee.
LEDGE of God, more than Burnt. 8. For * I have given un- offerings..
Rom. i. 18. For the Wrach of to them the Words which God is revealed from Heaven athou ga veft me ; and they gainst all UNGODLINESS and Un.. have received them, and have righteousness of Men, who hold the
Truth in Unrightcoufoefs. known surely that I came
19. Because that which may be out from thee, and they have known of God, is manifett in them, believed that thou didst send for God hath showed it unto them.
20. For the INVISIBLE Things me.
of him from the Creation of the 9. I pray for them: I pray World, are clearly seen, being unnot for the World, but for derstood by the Things that are
made, even his eternal Power and them which thou haft given
GODHEAD, fo that they are withme, for they are thine. out Excuse : 10. And all mine are thine, 21. Because that when they knew
Gud, they GLORIFIED him not as and thine are mine, and I am
God. glorified in them. . 1 Cor. i. 21. For after that, in 11. And now I am no the WISDOM of God, the World by
WISDOM know not God, it pleased
God by the Foolishness of Preachare in the World, and I come ing to SAVE them that believe. to thee. · Holy Father, keep 2 Cor. iv. 6. For God who com
manded the Light to shine out of through thine own Name,
DARKNESS, hath shined in our those whom thou hatt given Hearts, to give the Light of the me, that they may be ONE, KNOWLEDGE of the Glory of
God, in the face of Jefu Chrift, as we are. 12. While I was with them
Fohn X. 27. My Sheep hear my
Voice, and I know them, and in the World, I kept them they follow me. in thy Name : those that 28. And I give unto them Erer
*. nal Life, and they shall never pethou gavest me, I have kept, rich, neither Ihall any pluck them and none of them is lost, out of my Hand. but the Son of PERDITION: Ephef. i. 17. That the God of our that the Scripture might be G
Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of the ochpurc m nc oc Glory, may give unto you the Spifulfilled.
RIT OF WISDOM and Revelation in 13. And now come I to the Knowledge of him:
18. The Eyes of your Underthee, and these Things I
ing standing being enlighined; that ye speak in the World, that they may know what is the Hope of his might
are in in the World, but
* See Page 21. in the Abstract of the Old Teflammt, of the Excellen, of the Word of GOD.
by Whared them the world,
might have my Joy fulfilled CALLING, and what the Riches in themselves.
of the GLORY of his Inheritance in
the SAINTS, 14. I have given them 19. And what is the exceeding thy WORD; and the World Grearnels of his power to us ward hath hated them because who believe.
Chap.ii.13. But now in Chrifi 7 fin, they are not of the World, ye who were sometimes far off, are even as I am not of the made NICH by the Blood of Chr. A. World.
18. For through him we both
have an Access by one Spirit unto 15. I pray not that thou the Father. shouldt take them out of Chap. iij. 8. Unto me, who am the World, but that thou less than the least of all Saints, is
this Grace given, that I should ACCP mein Froin the preach among the Gentiles the unEvil.
searchable Riches of Chrift. 16. They are not of the. 9. And to make all Men see, what
is the Fellowship of the Myitery, World, even as I am not of which from the Beginning of the the World.
World hath been hid in God, who 17. SANCTIFY them thro' created ALLTHINes by Jifu Chrift: thy Truth : thy WORD is
10. To the Intent that now unto
the Principalities and Powers in Truth.
heavenly Places, might be known 18. As by the Church the maniiod Wis. N
DOM of God,
11. According to the eternal Puso pole which he posed in Chrift Ifu our Lord :
12. In whom we have Boldness and Access with Confidence by the Faith of him.
Phil. iji. 8. I count all Things but Loss, for the EXCELLENCY of the KNOWLEDGE of Christ Felius my Lord : for whom I have suffered the Loss of ALL THINGS, and do count them but Dung that I may win Chrift,
s. And be found in him, not having mine owo RIGHTEOUSNESS, which is of the Law, but that which is through the Faith of Chrift, the Righteousness which is of God by fajtur:
10. That I may know him, and the Power of his Resurrection and the Fellowship of his Suifcrings, being made CONFORMABLE unto his Death.
11. If by any means I might attain unto the Resurreélion of the Dead, Col. iii. 3. For ye are dead, and your Life is uit) with Christ in Got,
4. When Christ, who is our Life, shall appear, then shall je also appear with him in GLORY.
(hap. i. g. For this Cause we also since the Day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to defire that ye might be filled with the Knowledge of his Will, in all wisdom and spiritual Undertanding
10. That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unro all pleasing, being fruitful in every good Work, and increasing in the KNOWLEDGE OF God.
2 Pet. i. 2. Grace and Peace be multiplied unto you through the Knowledge of God, and of Jcfus our Lord,
3. According as his DIVINE POWER bath given unto us all Things that pertain unto Life and GODLINESS, through the Knowledge of him that hath called us to GLORY and VIRTUE.
s. And besides this, giving all Diligence, add to your Faith, Vistue, and to VIRTUE, Knowledge.