« PreviousContinue »
this. and divide it among Cor. IIHEN ye come togeyour felves. For I say unto xi. 20. W cher therefore into vou, I will not drink of the one place, this is not to Eat the Fruit of the Vine, until the Lord's SUPPER.
21. For in eating every one takKINGDOM of God Thall eth before other, his own Supper : COME, as
and one is hungry, and another is . [M] And as they were
27. What, have ye not Houses to
Di eat and to drink in? Or despise ye [L.) and gave Thanks, [M] the Church of God, and 'thame and BLESSED it, and BRAKL them that have not? Whar Niall I
ro; say to you, shall I praile you in it, and gave it to the Disci
this? I praise you not. ples, and said, Take EAT, 23. For I have received of the this is my BODY, (L.) which LORD, that which also I delivered is GIVEN for vou: this do in unto you, That the LORD Jefus,
the same Night in which he was REMEMBRANCE Of Inc. Like BETRAYEV, took BREAD : wise also [M] he took the24. And when he had given Cup Lj after SUPPER, THANKS, he BRAKE it, and laid,
Take, eat; this is my Body, which Mr.7 and when he had give is BROKEN for you: This do in en THANKS, he gave it to remembrance of me. them, [M] saying, DRINK 25. After the fame manner also
he took the Cup, when he had supye all of it: For this "s my ped, saying, This Cup is the New ye all of it: For this is my Blood of the New TestA- TESTAMENT in my BLOOD: this MENT; [L.) this Cup is the Do ye, as oft as ye DRINK it, in re
membrance of me. New TESTAMENT in my
my 26. For as often as ye cat this Blood, which is SHED for BREAD, and drink this Cup, ve do you, and [M.] for MANY, shew the Lord's DEATH Gill be for the REMISSION of Sins.“
27. Wherefore, whofoever Inall [Mr.) And they all drank Eat this Bread, and DRINK this of it. Verily I say unto you, Cup of the Lord URWORTHILY, [M] I will not drink hence
' shall be guilty of the Body and
Blood of the Lord. forth of this Fruit of the 28. But let a Man EXAMINE Vine, until that Day when I himself, and so let him cat of that drink it new'with vou. I Mr.7 BREAV), and drink of that Cup.
29. For he that catech and drinkin the KINGDOM of God, eth UNWORTHILY,eateth and drinkM.] my Father.
eth DAMNATION to himself, not [Mr.] And as they fat and discerning the Lord's Body.
30. For this Cause many art did eat, when yerus nad thus weak and fickly among you, and faid, he was troubled in Spi- many sleep rit, and teftified and said, 31. For if we would JUNGE Our [L.7 But behold, the Hand lelves, we should not be JUDGED.
32. But when we are judged, we of him that BETR AYETH are chaftned of the Lord, that we me is with me on the Table. should not be condemned with the 57. Verily, verily I fay un
32. Wherefore, my Brethren, 1o you, that one of you [ Mr.] when yo come together to eat, rar,
which ry one for another. 34. And
which eateth with me, shall ,.34. And if any Man linnger, lec
* him eat at home ; that ye come BETRAY me. 17. Then nut together unto Condemnacion. the Difciples Mr.] began to And the rest will I set in order be forrowful, and ( 7.) look- when come.
John vi. 27. LABOUR not for the ed one on another, doubting Meat which perisheth, but for that of whom he spake. [L.] Meat which ondureth unto everlalta And they began to inquire ing LIFE, which the Son of Man
is shall give unto you : for him hach among them felves, which of
God the Father' sealed. them it was that should do 28. Then said they unto him, this Thing. [M] And they What shall we do, that we might were exceeding sorrowful, work the Works of God ?
29. Jefus answered and said unto and began every one of them them, This is the work of God, to say unto him, [Mr.) one that ye BELIEVE on him whom he by one, [M] Lord, is it I ? hath lent.. And he answered and said What Sign Thewelt thou then, thac
30. They said therefore unto him, unto them, It is one of the we may sce, and believe thee ? Twelve, that dippeth M.] What dost thou work? his Hand with mé in the in the Desert ; as it is written, He
31. Our Fathers did' eat MANNA Dish, the same shall betray gave them Bread from Heaven to me. [L.] And truly the eat. Son of Man goeth as it was Verily, verily I say unto you, Mo
32. Then Tofius said unto them, determined, Mr.] as it is ses gave you not that Bread from written of him: But wo to Heaven; but my Father givech you that Man by whom the Son the en hy whom the Son the TRUE BREAD from Heaven.
33. For the Bread of God is he of Manis BETRAYED : good which cometh down from Heaven, were it for that Man, if he and giveth Life unto the World. had never been born. 171, 34. Then said they unto him,
Jid Lord, evermore give us this Bread. Now there was leaning on 35. And 3. fius laid unto them, I
Ferus Borom one of his Dil- Am the BREAD of Life: he thuc ciples, whom Jesus loved. comech to m., shall never hunger;
and hc that believeth on me, mali neever thererore Deck: never thirst. ned unto him, that he should37. All that the Father giverh me, ask, who it should be of hall come to me ; and him that
cometh to me, I will in no wise whom he spake. He then call out. *** lying on Felus Breast, faith 38. For I came down from Heae unto him, Lord, who is it? ven not to do mine own Will, but Jefus anfwered, He it is to the WILL of him that lent me.
40. And this is the WILL of whom I shall give a Sop, him that sent me, that every one when I have dipped it. And which seeth the Son, and believeth when he had dipped the Sop, Life: and I will raise him up at
nad the Son on him, may have everlasting he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the latt Day the Son of Simon. And af.41. The Jetos then murmured ac
Son i w ter the Sop, SATAN entred
anted him, because he faid, I am the
Bread which came down from Hca. into him, Then said Jefus ven,
tent fome of them
and it was Night.
unto him, That thou dost do ...43. Fefe therefore answered and
* said unto them, Murmur not among quickly. Now no Man at land
your selves. the Table knew for what In- 44. No Man can come to me, ex. tent he spake this unto him: cept the Father which hath sent me,
draw him: and I will raise him up 1ome of them tougu, at the last Day. because Fudas had the Bag, 47, Verily, verily I say unto you, that Fesus had said unto He that BELIEVETH on me hath him, Buy those Things that everlasting LIFE.
48. I am that BREAD of Life: we have need of againit ine49. Your Fathers did eat MANNA Feast: or that he should give in the Wilderness, and are dead. fomething to the Poor. (M) so. This is the BREAD which
cometh down from Heaven, that a Then Fudas which betray- Man may eat thereof, and not die. ed him, answered and said, s1. I am the LIVING BREAD Master, is it I? He said unto which came down from Heaven : if bim. Thou hast laid.
ŏ any Man eat of this Bread, he shall
L. Live for ever ; and the Bread that • He then having received the I will give, is my Flesh, which I
Sop, went immediately out : will give for the Life of the and it was Night. There- . 52. The flexos therefore strove fore when he was gone out, amongst themselves, saying, How fefus faid, Now is the Son can this Man give us his Fielh to of Man GLORIFIED, and
53. Then Jesus said unto them, God is GLORIFIED in him. Except ye eat the Flesh of the If God be glorified in him, Son of Man, and drink his Blood, God shall allo glorify bim ye havc no Life in you.
54. Whoso eatech my FLESH, in himself, and shall straight- and drinketh my BLOOD, hath eterwav glorify him. A
n al Life, and I will raise him up [L.) And there was also a at the last Day.
ss. For my Flesh is MEAT 10Strife among them, which deed, and my Blood is DRINK iQof them should be accounted deca. the GREATEST. And he $6. Hc that cateth my Flesh, and
drinketh my Blood, DWELLETK. said 'unto them, The Kings in of the Gentiles exercise Lord 57. As the LIVING Father hath ship over them; and they sent me, and I live by the Father:
so he that catech me, even he fall that exercise Authority upon
LIVE by me. them, are called BENEFAC- 58. This is that Bread which came TORS. But ye shall not be down from Heaven : not as you
Farhers did eat MANNA, and are fo; but he that is GREAT
dead : he that eareth ot chis Bread, est among you, let him be shall live for ever. as the Younger : and he that 1 Cor. *. 16. The Cup of Bles. is Cuer, as he that doch Sins which we biels, is it not the
COMMUNION of the BLOOD of serve. For whether is greito Chrilt? The Bread which we break, er, he that firtern ac Meat, is it not the COMMUNION of the or he that serverh? Is por Body of Chrift? .. he that fittech at Meat? But Bread, and
17. For we being many, are one at Nicat ! But Bread, and one Body: for we all
I am among you as he that are Partakers of that one Bread.
20. But I say, that the Things 1erveth. . Ye are they which which the Girtiles facrifice, they have continued with me in facrifice to Devils, and not to God: my Temptations. And I ap- and I would not that ye should have
fellowship with Devils. point unto you a Angaoin, 21. Ye cannot drink the Cup of as my Father hath appoint- the Lord, and the Cup of Devils : ed unto me. That ve may ye cannot be Partakers of the Lord's
Table, and of the Table of Devils. eat and drink at my Table
22. Do we provoke the Lord to in my Kingdom, and fit on JEALOUSY? are we stronger than Thrones, judging the twelve he ? Tribes of Irael.
31. Whether therefore ye cat or
drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all 17.) Little Children, yet to the Glory of God. a little while I am with you. Ye Shall feek me, and, as I said unto the Fews, Whither I go ye cannot come ; so now I say unto you. A new Commandment give I unto you, that ye love one another, as I have LOVED you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all Men know that ye are my Disci. ples, if ye have Love one to another. Simon Peter faith unto him, Lord, Whither goeft thou ? Fefnis answered him, 'Whither I go, thou canst not follow me, but thou shalt Shalt follow me afterwards. Peter said unto him, Lord, Why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my Life for thy fake. (L.) And the Lord  Fesus answered him, and said, Wilt thou lay down thy Life for my fake ? (L.) Simon, Simon, behold, SATAN hath defired to have you, that he may fift you as Wheat. But I have prayed for thee, that thy Faith fail not ; and when thou art converted, strengthen thy Brethren. And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into Prison and into Death. And he said, 17.) Verily, verily [L.) I tell thee, Peter, the Cock shall not crow this Day, before thou shalt thrice DENY that thou knoweft me. And he said unto them, When I sent you without Purse, and Scrip, and Shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they faid, Nothing. Then said he unto them, But now he that hath a Purse, let him take it, and likewise his Scrip: And he that hath no Sword, let him sell his Garment, and buy one : for I say unto you, that this that is written muit yet be accomplished in me. And he was reckoned among the Transgreffors : For the Things concerning me have an End, And they said, Lord, behold, here are two Swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.
Our Saviour's Speeches to his Disciples
before his Paffion; contained in the 14th, 15th, and 16th Chapters of St. John's Gospel.
CH A P. XIV.
CHRIST commands bis Disciples, that as they believe
in GOD, so they should believe and confide in
Ver. 1.T ET not your Heart (a) Heb. V Ithout Faith it is to be TROUBLED: ye him: for he that COMETH to God,
xi. 6. VV impoflible to please BELIEVE in God, BELIEVE mult BELIEVE that he is, and that also in me (a).
he is the REWARDER of them that diligently seek him.
Epher.'i, 13. In whom ye alfo trusted, after that ye heard the Word of Truth, the Gospel of your SALVATION : in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that HOLY SPIRIT of Promise.
18. That ye may know what is the Hope of his CALLING, and what the RICHES of the GLORY of his Inheritance in the SAINTS,
19. And what is the exceeding Greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his MIGHTY POWER,
Heb. iv. 14. Secing then that we have a great High PRIEST, that is passed into the Heavens, Selius the Son of Gov, let us HOLD FAST our Profession.
is. For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the Feeling of our Infirmities; but was in all Points tempted like as we are, yet without Sin.
16. Let us therefore come BOLDLY unto the Throne of Grace, that we may obtain Mercy, and find Grace to help in Time of need,
Chap. vii. 25. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the utermoit, that COME unto God by him, seeing he ever LIVETH to make Intercellion for them.
26. For fuch an High PRIEST became us, who is holy, harmless, un. defiled, separate from Sinners, and made higher than the Heavens.
Chap. x. 19. Having therefore, Brethren, BOLDNESS to enter into the Holiest by the Blood of Jefus,
20. By a new and LIVING 'Way which he hath confecrated for us, through the Vail, that is to say, his FLESH ;