« PreviousContinue »
thy way, and as thou hast beLIEVED, fo be it done unto
thee. And his Servant was healed in the self-fame Hour. · (L.) And they that were sent, returning to the House,
found the Servant whole that had been fick.
CHRIST returns to the Sea of Galilee, and cures one that was deaf and dumb.
Mark vii. 31. Matt. xv. 29. [Mr.] AND again departing from the Coasts of Tyre
n and Sidon, he came unto the Sea of Galilee, through the midit of the Coast of Decapolis. And they bring unto him one that was Deaf, and had an Impediment in his Speech : and they beseech him to put his Hand upon him. And he took him aside from the Multitude, and put his Fingers into his Ears, and he spit, and touched his Tongue. And looking up to Heaven, he fighed, and said unto him, Ephphatha, that is, Be opened. And ftraightway his Ears were opened, and the String of his Tongue was loosed, and he spake plain. And he charged them that they should tell no Man: but the more he charged them, so much the more a great deal they published it. [M.] And he went up into a Mountain, and far down there. And great Multitudes came unto him, having with them those that were LAME, BLIND, DUMB, MAIMED, and many others, and cast them down at Jesus Feet, and he healed them : Infomuch that the Multitude wondred when they saw the, Dumb to speak, the MAIMLD to be whole, the Lame to walk, and the BLIND to fee. [Mr.] And were beyond measure astonished, saying, He hath done all Things well : he maketh both the Deaf to hear, and the Dumb to speak. [M.] And they glorified the God of Israel.
An infirm Woman healed on the Sabbath
Luke AND he was teaching in one of the Synagogues xiii. 10.11 on the Sabbath. And behold, there was a Woman which had a SPIRIT of INFIRMITY eighteen Years, and was bowed together, and could in no wife lift up her self. And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loofed from thine INFIRMITY. And he laid his Hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. And the Ruler of the Synagogue answered with Indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the Sabbath Day, and said unto the People, There are fix Days in which Men ought to work : in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the Sabbath Day. The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou HYPOCRITE, doth not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his Ox or his Afs from the Stall, and lead him away to Watering? And ought not this Woman, being a Daughter of Abraham, whom SATAN hath bound, lo there eighteen Years, be loosed from this Bond on the Sabbath Day? And when he had said thefe Things, all his Adversaries were ashamed: And all the People rejoiced for all the GLORIOUS THINGS that were done by him.
****************************** CHRIST, in the Pharisee's House, beals
one of the Dropsy on the Sabbath Day. Luke AND it came to pass, as he went into the House xiv. i. 11 of one of the chief Pharisees on the Sabbath Day, that they watched him. And behold, there was a certain Man before him which had the Dropsy. And JeSus answering, fpake unto the Lawyers and Pharisees, faying, Is it lawful to Heal on the Sabbath Day? And they held their Peace. And he took him, and healed him, and let him go : and answered them, saying, Which of you
shall have an Ass or an Ox fallen into a Pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the Sabbath Day? And they could not answer him again to these Things.
Jesus on the Sabbath Day cures him
that had an Infirmity Thirty eight Years, and lay at the Pool of Bethesda.
At which the Jews being enraged, and seeking to kill him, Jesus avows his Deity, that all Judgment was committed to him, and that whosoever believed on him, should have everlasting Life. And that he was the promis'd Messiah, of whom Mofes wrote.
Foon AFTER this there was a Feast of the Jews, and v. 1. 1 Jesus went up to ferusalem.
2. Now there is at Jerusalem by the Sheep-Market, a Pool, which is called in the Hebrew Tongue, Bethesda, having five Porches.
3. In these lay a great Multitude of Impotent Folk, of Blind, Halt, Withered, waiting for the Moving of the Water.
4. For an Angel went down at a certain Season into the Pool, and troubled the Water: whosoever then first after the Troubling of the Water stepped in, was made whole of whatsoever Disease he had."
5. And a certain Man was there, which had an INFIRMITY THIRTY and Eight Years.
6. When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that Case, he faith unto him, Wilt thou be made WHOLE?
7. The imPOTENT Man answered him, Sir, I have no Man, when the Water is troubled, to put me into the Pool :
but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.
8. Jesus faith unto him, R ise,take up thy Bed, and walk.
9. And immediately the Man was made WHOLE, and took up his Bed, and walked : and on the same Day was the Sabbath.
10. The fews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the Sabbath Day ; it is not lawful for thee to carry thy Bed.
11. He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy Bed, and walk.
12. Then asked they him, What Man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy Bed, and walk ?
13. And he that was healed, wist not who it was: for Fesús had conveyed himself away, a Multitude being in that Place.
14. Afterward fecus findeth him in the Temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole : Sin no more, lest a WORSE THING come upon thee.
15. The Man departed, and told the Jews chat it was Jefus that had made him whole.
16. And therefore did the fews PERSECUTE Ferus, and sought to slay him, because he had done there Things on the Sabbath Day. .
17. But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I WORK.
18. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the Sabbath, but said also, that God was his FATHER, making himself EQUAL with GOD *.
19. Then answered Fesus, and said unto them, Verily, verily I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himfelf, but what he seeth the Father do ; for what Things foever he doth, these also doth the Son likewife.
20. For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all Things that himself doth: and he will shew him greater WoR its than these, that ye may marvel.
21. For as the Father RIASETH up the DEAD, and quickneth them : even fo the Son quickneth whom he will. (a)A&s xvii. 31. Because he hath ap
ce 22. For (a) the Father pointed for a the Father pointed a Day in the which he will
JUDGE the World in Righteousness, TUDGETH no Man; but hath by that MAN whom he hath orcommitted all TUDGMENT dained; whereut he hath given Ar
surance unto all Men, in that he unto the Son :
hath RAISEU him from the Dead.
23. That * Sec the Proofs of CHRIST's Divinity, page 2
23. That all Men should HONOUR the Son, even as they HONOUR the Father. He that honourech not the Son, honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
(6) John xvii. 1. These Words
spake Jefus ; and lift up his Eyes 24. Verily, verily (6) Isay
to Heaven, and said, Father, the unto you, He that heareth Hour is come, GLORIFY thy Son, my WORD, and believeth on that thy Son also may GLORIFY
thee. . him that fent me, hath ever
2. As thou hast given him Pow. Jafting LIFE, and shall not ER over all Flesh, chat he should come into CONDEMNATION; give Erernal LIFE to as many as but is paffed from Death un- thou halt given him.
3. And this is Life Eternal, that to Life.
they might KNOW thee the only 25. Verily, verily I say true Gon, and Jesus Christ whom unto you, (c) The Hour is thou haft sent.
2 Tim. i. 9. Who hath SAVED coming, and now is, when us, and called us with an HOLY the DEAD shall hear the Voice CALLING, not according to our of the Son of Gon. and Works, but according to his own
* Purpose and GRACE which was they that hear, shall LIVE
given us in Chrift.Jefrus, before the 26. For as the Father hath WORLD began, Life in himself; so hath he . 1o. But is now made MANIFEST given to the Son to have by the Appearing of our SAVIOUR
fifius Chrift, who hath abolished Life in himself;
DEATH, and hath brought LIFE 27. And hath given him and IMMORTALITY to light through
ute the Gospel. AUTHORITY to execute
(c) Ephes. ii. 1. And you hath he TUDGMENT also, because he quickned, who were dead in Tresis the Son of Man.
Passes and SINS, 28. Marvel not at this : 2. Wherein in Time past ye
walked according to the Course of for the Hour is coming, in the this world, according to the Prince which all that are in the of the Power of the Air, the Graves shall hear his voice. SPIRIT that now worketh in the 29. And shall come forth,
Children of Disobcdience.
3. Among whom also we all had they that have done GOOD, our Conversation in Times past, in unto the Refurrection of the Lusts of our Flesh, fülilling
the Desires of the Flesh, and of the Life; and they that have M
ve Mind ; and were by Nature the done Evil, unto the Refur- Children of Wrath, even as others. rection of DAMNATION. 4. But God, who is RICH in 30. I (d) can of mine own
MERCY, for his great Love where
with he loved us, self do nothing: as I hear, I s. Even when we were DEAD IN judge : and my JUDGMENT SIN, hath QUICKNED us together is JUST ; because I seek not
with Chrift, (by GRACE ye are mine own Will, but the Will (d) Heb. x. 30. For we know of the Father which hath him that hath said, Vengeance besent me.
longeth unto me, I will recompense,
faith the LORD. And again, The 31. If I bear witness of my LORD shall JUDGE his People.
judge ? anothing as Tree