Page images

twenty rods, fired once and sent flag to demand surrender; fired again, deploying his cavalry around the stockade, and again demanded a surrender. This was repeated three times and as often promptly refused, and on the last time he was told that if he sent a flag of truce again it would be fired on. His artillery firing was very wild, and though continued at intervals for over an hour no one was hit. We had one horse killed. A sergeant and two men on picket were captured. Mosby retreated and was pursued by Major Horton with a detachment from Falls Church. The enemy went out by the Warrenton road.



Lieutenant-Colonel and Provost-Marshal-General.

Col. J. H. TAYLOR,
Assistant Adjutant-General.

No. 2.

Report of Capt. Joseph Schneider, Sixteenth New York Cavalry.


Annandale Stockade, Va., August 25, 1864.

SIR: Inclosed I have the honor to forward a report of the repulse of Mosby's forces in an attack on the stockade at Annandale, Va.: Wednesday morning, at 13 minutes to 5 o'clock, the camp was alarmed by three shots fired by the picket on the Fairfax Court-House road; immediately after which the rebels who had taken the picket, consisting of one sergeant and three men, fired about three shells into our camp; then a detachment of about 100 men charged up toward our entrance; being received there by a volley, they swerved to the south, surrounding the south and east side of our camp. A flag of truce was sent demanding, in Colonel Mosby's name, the surrender of our camp. Under cover of this flag of truce they advanced their two pieces (field) to within 300 or 400 yards of our camp-one on the southwest, the other on the northwest corner. The question of surrendering being answered in the negative in the most decisive terms they commenced to bombard our camp in good earnest, one piece throwing shell, the other one grape. After firing nearly a dozen more shots they sent another flag of truce on the northwest side, where Captain Mickles had charge of the defenses, who told them not to come with any more flags of truce, as he would not respect them, which same answer two bearers of flags of truce received from me on the east side of the camp during a tour of inspection I made around the abatis. Finding their persuasions, both in shelling and negotiating, of no account, they, being probably warned of the approach of re-enforcements, after some further demonstrations, sent their field pieces up the Fairfax Court-House road, and then they themselves slowly retired. I had seen about 250 or 300 men and had no means of ascertaining their correct number, and thought it only a feint when they left; therefore I did not make any demonstrations to pursue them, although Companies B and C had their horses in readiness. The attack lasted nearly one hour and a half, and they fired from thirty to forty cannon shots, besides some small-arm practice. They wounded two horses of Company A and deranged some of our quarters and Company C's stable (old barn). The casualties on the rebel side, as far as we can


learn, were one man and three horses killed and three men wounded. We also learned that their force was over 400 men when they passed the Court-House. Mrs. Tennison, who lives east of the camp, refused the laundresses to come in her house, and told them "get away from here into your camp," harboring at the same time some of the rebel leaders with whom she was acquainted. Finally, I have to state, that both officers and men, with but very few exceptions, behaved splendidly.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Captain, 16th N. Y. Cav., Comdg. Detach. 16th N. Y. Vol. Car.

N. B.-The re-enforcements arrived too late to be of any service to us, as it was two hours and ten minutes from the first shot to their arrival, under Major Horton, Sixteenth New York Volunteer Cavalry.

First Lieut. E. Y. LANSING,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Cavalry Brigade.

J. S.

SEPTEMBER 14, 1864.-Skirmish near Centerville, W. Va. Report of Capt. Harrison H. Hagans, First West Virginia Cavalry. BUCKHANNON, W. VA., September 15, 1864.

With sixteen men I pursued and overtook thirty horse-thieves thirty miles above this place. I killed four, wounded several, and drove them out. Another squad of twelve has made its appearance in another direction to-day. I have sent men after them. My loss in fight yesterday, one man wounded and two horses killed. The country is infested, and unless I have more force will be overrun.


Commanding, Clarksburg, W. Va.


SEPTEMBER 17-28, 1864.-Witcher's expedition into West Virginia, including skirmishes at Buckhannon (27th-28th).


No. 1.-General Robert E. Lee, C. S. Army.

No, 2.-Lieut. Col. Vincent A. Witcher, Thirty-fourth Battalion Virginia Cavalry.

No. 1.

Report of General Robert E. Lee, C. S. Army.


Chaffin's Bluff, October 5, 1864. Lieutenant-Colonel Witcher has returned from his expedition to Western Virginia. He visited Bulltown, Jacksonville, Westover, Buckhannon, Walkersville, and Weston. Reports that he destroyed a million dollars worth of stores, captured 300 prisoners, with their horses and equipments, brought out 500 horses, and 200 beef-cattle, and sustained no loss.

Hon, J. A. SEDDON,

R. E. LEE,


No. 2.

Report of Lieut. Col. Vincent A. Witcher, Thirty-fourth Battalion Vir

ginia Cavalry.


Lewis' Mill, Greenbrier County, W. Va., October 5, 1861. CAPTAIN: In obedience to orders from department headquarters, I started with my command (Thirty-fourth Virginia Cavalry Battalion) from Jeffersonville, Tazewell County, Va., on the 17th day of September, passing by way of Narrows of New River to Lewisburg, Va., where I was joined by Capts. P. J. Thurmond's, W. D. Thurmond's, W. H. Payne's, J. Bumgard's, [and] J. W. Amick's companies, making in all 523 men effective, 267 of which were infantry.

I left Lewisburg on the 22d instant, passed over the mountain by the Cold Knob route. I captured Bulltown on the evening of the 25th instant. This place was well fortified. The home-guard garrison_was soon dispersed and the fortifications and cabins burned. Left Bulltown on the 26th instant. Here it was found that the infantry were so much worn down that it would be impossible for them to get to Weston (twenty-five miles) that day, which was all-important. I therefore dismounted the cavalry command and mounted as many of the infantry as there was horses (though a great many of the horses had broken down and been abandoned on the mountains) and let them ride ten miles, which brought the command to within fifteen miles of Weston. At this point the horses were again changed and the infantry was pushed on to within five and a half miles of Weston. They were then left under command of Capt. W. D. Thurmond to come up as fast as possible. I pressed the mounted men forward as rapidly as possible and got possession of Weston about 5 p. m. The surprise was complete. The home-guard pickets knew nothing of the advance until they were prisoners. In Weston there was a large amount of stores of all kinds, the useful articles being turned over to the command. Besides the stores the Exchange Bank was captured, the funds, amounting to $5,287.85, were turned over to Lieut. J. W. Branham, aide-de-camp, who will turn them over to the proper authorities for the use of the Confederate Government. Here I detached Capt. William H. Payne, with his company, and ordered him to proceed to Janelew, a point seven miles from Weston on the Clarksburg road. At this place he destroyed some stores, arms, and the telegraph.

On the 27th I left Weston and proceeded to Buckhannon. About five miles from that place we encountered one company of cavalry, which was driven at a charge through the town and out on the Clarksburg road. After remaining in Buckhannon a short time I passed out on the French Creek road to a point a mile; there went into camp and rested until 2 a. m. I then informed the battalion commanders that we would again take Buckhannon. The command moved off, and at daylight they charged and surrounded the town, capturing Maj. T. F. Lang, Third [Sixth] Virginia (bogus) Cavalry (Averell's brigade), 100 men and horses, with equipments complete. As soon as it was daylight I ordered the Government stores destroyed. They consisted of a very large quantity of quartermaster's, commissary, and medical stores, besides 1,000 stand of small-arms.

I have returned with 400 fresh horses, 200 beef-cattle; captured and paroled 300 prisoners. I mounted all the infantry.


The road traveled was a bridle-path for sixty miles. My men and horses suffered very much on the mountains for rations. I lost only one man; he was captured.

My thanks are due to Captain McFarlane, commanding Thirty-fourth Battalion Virginia Cavalry, also to Capts. P. J. and W. D. Thurmond and W. H. Payne, all of whom did their whole duty. Cadet Buffington behaved in a very gallant and soldiery manner during the raid.

I would most respectfully call the attention of the general commanding to the gallant and meritorious conduct of Lieut. J. W. Branham, aide-de-camp; also to Adjutant Wade, Thirty-fourth Battalion Virginia Cavalry, both of whom were at all times at their posts.

I am, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding.


Asst. Adjt. Gen., Dept. of Southwest Va. and East Tenn.

SEPTEMBER 23-OCTOBER 1, 1864.-Nounnan's expedition into the Kanawha Valley, W. Va., including skirmish at Coalsmouth (September 30).


No. 1.—Brig. Gen. Jeremiah C. Sullivan, U. S. Army, commanding Kanawha Valley


No. 2.-Maj. James H. Nounnan, Sixteenth Virginia Cavalry, commanding expedi


No. 3.-Capt. Joshua E. Hobbs, Sixty-fourth Virginia Cavalry.

No. 1.

Report of Brig. Gen. Jeremiah C. Sullivan, U. S. Army, commanding Kanawha Valley forces.

A force of the enemy, at 9 o'clock last night. wounded and one killed. tured one prisoner.

Captain BIER,

CHARLESTON, October 1, 1864. 150 strong, attacked the post at Coalsmouth They were driven off; their loss was five The force from Winfield pursued and capJ. C. SULLIVAN, Brigadier-General.

Assistant Adjutant-General.

No. 2.

Report of Maj. James H. Nounnan, Sixteenth Virginia Cavalry, com

manding expedition.


Assistant Adjutant-General, &c.:

DUBLIN, October 18, 1864.

MAJOR: I inclose the report of Maj. J. H. Nounnan of an expedition to the Kanawha Valley. The part borne by Captain Hobbs, of Pridemore's regiment, is particularly worthy of notice.

I am, major, very respectfully, &c.,





TAZEWELL COURT-HOUSE, VA., October 14, 1864. GENERAL: In obedience to your instructions, I moved with the detachment under my command from this place on 23d ultimo in the direction of the Kanawha Valley and attacked the enemy, 100 strong, at Mouth of Coal on 30th ultimo at dark, but owing to the river being past fording, and all the ferry-boats having been removed to the east side of the river, where the enemy were intrenched, I failed to dis lodge them, and after skirmishing with them across the river about two hours and securing a large supply of boots, shoes, heavy clothing, worsted goods, and hats from a store-boat on the west side of the river, I withdrew my command, with the loss of two wounded. The loss of the enemy was eight or ten killed and wounded. After leaving Mouth of Coal I moved down the Guyandotte turnpike and encamped at Hurricane Bridge for the purpose of feeding and resting, and went myself with an escort of eight men toward Winfield to secure reliable information concerning the enemy posted there, and if possible to hear from Colonel Witcher. On my way to camp, and when within four miles of it, I suddenly came upon a small squad of the enemy about 3 o'clock in the morning. We came together at full speed and were all mixed up with each other before we knew it, and our meeting was alike surprising to them as to myself. I was immediately unhorsed, and my escort, being greatly outnumbered, were speedily dispersed and four of them captured. Myself and the rest, under cover of the darkness, escaped through the fields, losing two horses. Before it was possible for me to reach camp, Captain Hobbs, the officer in charge, moved the command with unparalleled celerity in the direction of Logan Court-House, marching that day fifty-seven miles. This movement I am entirely unable to explain, for there was no enemy threatening us, and but few of the enemy's scouts to be seen along the roads, and none whatever pursued him. He was either actuated by cowardice or a determination to desert me and return to within our lines. I supposed that he would certainly report to his regiment in this county, but to my surprise and astonishment he crossed the Dry Fork of Sandy twenty-five miles west of this place on last Tuesday week and went in the direction of Lee County, where I understand he has arrived, and has never reported to his regiment. His march for speed is without precedent, and throughout his march he stripped every citizen of horses who happened to fall in his way, and committing some of the most outrageous depredations upon defenseless and loyal citizens.

The object of the expedition was fully accomplished, notwithstanding the course of Captain Hobbs, as the enemy's attention was drawn to the south side of the Kanawha, where they supposed I had a large force. There are nine companies of cavalry in the Valley from Guyandotte to Cannelton-seven companies of Seventh Virginia and two companies of New York cavalry, numbering in the aggregate 700 men. The companies are posted as follows: two at Guyandotte, one at Winfield, one at Coal, one at Charleston, two at Camp Piatt, and two at Cannelton. Situated as they are, 150 men can clear the lower Valley of the enemy, and I would not hesitate to attempt to drive the whole force from there with 200 good cavalry.

I will see you in a few days in person-about Thursday next. I have just arrived here, and am so worn out that I will rest a few days.

I am, general, very respectfully, your friend and obedient servant,

Major, Commanding Detachment of Cavalry. Brigadier-General ECHOLS, Comdg. Dept. of S. W. Va. and E. Tenn.

« PreviousContinue »