Page images

without my imagining he would leave the field, but he almost immediately, without my observing it, left his company and proceeded to Winchester. Before his leave expired an order honorably discharging him from the service on tender of his resignation was received, and I am unable to notice his conduct of the 19th ultimo save in this manner. With this exception, my officers and much the greater part of my men, both volunteers and drafted, behaved with gallantry, and well deserve their share of the thanks given by the President and the country for the glorious victory of that day.

I regret that I must report the death on the field of First Lieut. Thomas Kilburn, a most faithful officer, and the dangerous wounding of Second Lieut. Edward R. Hilliard. Major Cornyn and Lieutenants Power and Blondin were struck, but continued on duty.

The casualties of the regiment, as corrected to date, are: Killed and died of wounds-officers, 1; men, 3; total 4. Wounded-officers, 4; men, 31; total, 35. Missing-men, 6. Aggregate, 45.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding.

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Brigade.

Permit me to refer to two incidents, each of interest to my regiment. Private Leander McClurg, Company F, One hundred and twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, was one of the first to cross the stone fence, where the enemy had attempted to check our advance, and captured a flag which a wounded rebel told him was the flag of the Forty-fourth (rebel) Virginia Regiment. McClurg continued to advance, bearing the color, but it was forced from him by an officer of our service whose name and regiment I have been unable to learn, the officer using threats and taking advantage of his rank. The colors of the One hundred and twenty-second Ohio Regiment were the first, except those of the Sixty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, planted on the works thrown up by the Nineteenth Corps, and which had been captured by the enemy in the morning.

Again, your obedient servant,


Lieut. Col. 122d Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Comdy. Régiment.

No. 69.

Reports of Capt. George W. Hoge, One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio Infantry, of operations September 19-22 and October 19.


In the Field, September 26, 1864. SIR: In compliance with directions of this date from the headquarters of the brigade, I have respectfully to report the operations of my command at the late engagements at the Opequon and Fisher's Hill, as follows, to wit:

The regiment entered into the battle of the 19th instant forming the extreme left of the first line of battle of the brigade. It advanced with the line over the open fields, charging upon that part of the enemy's line in the ravine, a few rods east of 's house, driving it in much

confusion and taking many prisoners. The advance was continued to a point a few rods beyond the house (the left of the regiment passing just to the right of it), where the line halted; after which it continued in the line and participated in the final and victorious advance in the evening. Lieut. Col. A. W. Ebright, in the early part of the action soon after the rebel line was broken, fell, killed by a musket-ball piercing his breast while gallantly leading his regiment; also Capt. Thomas J. Hyatt, ever conspicuous for his valor on the field, and Lieut. Rufus Ricksecker, bravely leading his company in his first battle, were killed near where the colonel fell. The strength of the regiment engaged was 11 officers and about 270 enlisted men (30 of whom were skirmishers). The loss, 3 officers and 9 men killed, and 3 officers and 37 men wounded, and 2 men missing.

On the 21st instant, in the vicinity of Fisher's Hill, in the movement of the corps toward the right, under an order from the colonel commanding the brigade, I moved the regiment rapidly forward to aid our skirmishers to drive back those of the enemy who were strongly posted behind rail defenses. On advancing through a wood the right of the line was suddenly met by a galling fire from the front and right, when a portion of the men (many of them inexperienced soldiers) commenced firing, upon which the line halted. The right of the line, resting on open ground, being much exposed and suffering terribly without the ability to inflict much loss on the enemy, temporarily gave way, but was easily rallied a short distance to the rear, and soon after, other troops coming up and extending the line to the right, we again advanced and the enemy was driven from his position. The loss in this affair was 4 enlisted men killed and 17 wounded.

On the 22d instant the regiment formed the extreme left of the line of battle of the brigade in the advance of the division to the position it occupied near the enemy's works at the time his left was turned. Soon after the attack by General Crook's command was begun, that portion of the enemy in our front having commenced moving to the relief of that part of his forces engaged, to prevent the object I took forward a part of the regiment, by order of the colonel commanding the brigade, and made a feint of charging his works. This feint had the desired effect, for the rebels were soon seen hurriedly returning, some into their works, but more rushing panic-stricken to the rear. Soon after the regiment moved forward in the grand charge made by the division and did its part in winning the glorious victory of that day. The loss was 1 officer slightly wounded and 2 enlisted men killed and 8 wounded.

In these actions the officers and men behaved well, and the drafted men (some fifty of whom had joined the regiment as late as the 2d instant) vied with the old soldiers in deeds of valor, and deserve great credit for the manner in which they acquitted themselves.

The command of the regiment devolved upon me on the death of Colonel Ebright.

Accompanying this report, as directed, I forward a nominal list of the casualties occurring in the foregoing engagements. The loss of so many brave men is deeply to be regretted.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Captain, 126th Ohio Volunteers, Commanding Regiment.


Lieut. JOHN A. GUMP,

Acty. Asst. Adjt. Gen., Second Brig., Third Div., Sixth Corps.
*Embodied in tables, pp. 113, 121.


November 3, 1864.

CAPTAIN: In obedience to instructions received from headquarters of the brigade, I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by this regiment in the engagement of October 19 at this place: At about daylight, the Eighth and Nineteenth Corps having been attacked by the enemy, the regiment, less two commissioned officers and 100 men then on picket duty, was ordered under arins at once, and after some maneuvering in changing and rechanging the line was ordered to advance. Under this order we crossed the creek near our present camp, and having advanced but a few yards beyond it, were ordered to fall back to the crest we had previously occupied. In this crossing and recrossing the stream, the regiment was thrown into considerable confusion, and order could not be restored until after passing the crest in our rear. Here the regiment engaged the advancing columns of the enemy, whose progress was sensibly checked at this point until the gradual falling back of our line From to the point where a permanent stand was made by the corps. this place the regiment moved with the brigade and division to the left and into the woods, resting about an hour, then moved in line of battle to the rear a short distance, then to the left, and again to the front. Having advanced in line a short distance, a line was established and strengthened by logs, rails, &c., behind which we lay until about 3.30 o'clock, when the line was ordered to advance upon the enemy. In this advance the regiment formed the extreme right of the brigade and was increased by the officers and about twenty men of the picket guard. After considerable resistance, the enemy suddenly and unaccountably gave way and retreated precipitately and in confusion over the ground they had gained by our temporary reverse, and were followed by our line in as quick time as possible to the works occupied by the Eighth Corps in the morning. It being now dark, we returned to the position we occupied at the commencement of the battle, and having collected the dead and wounded, friend and foe, in. our vicinity, went quietly into camp.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

G. W. HOGE, Captain, 126th Ohio Volunteers, Commanding Regiment. Capt. J. J. BRADSHAW,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., Hdqrs. 2d Brig., 3d Div., 6th A. C.

Statement of casualties in the regiment in the engagement of October 19, 1864:

Killed-enlisted men, 4. Wounded-officers, 1; enlisted men, 14. Missing-enlisted men, 4. Aggregate, 23.

No. 70.

Reports of Lieut. John F. Young, Sixty-seventh Pennsylvania Infantry, of operations September 19-22 and October 19.


September 27, 1864. LIEUTENANT: In compliance with orders, dated headquarters Second Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, September 26, 1864, call


ing for a report of the part taken by the Sixty-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers in the late engagements at the Opequon and Fisher's Hill, I have the honor to submit the following:

The regiment broke camp about 2 a. m. September 19, 1864, near Berryville, Va., and taking up the line of march, left in front, in the column of the brigade, about an hour later, moved in the direction of Winchester, Va. After a steady march of about three hours it reached the Opequon Creek, which was crossed as rapidly as possible. A short delay ensued at this point, when the regiment again moved forward, and after marching about one mile and a half, formed line of battle on the right of the brigade in the first line, and threw out fifty men, in charge of Acting Lieutenant Clarke, as skirmishers. There were no troops at this time on the right of the regiment. Brisk skir mishing began as soon as the line was formed, and the skirmish line advanced about 500 yards, driving the enemy before it. About 10 a. m. the Nineteenth Army Corps came up and formed line of battle on the right some 300 or 400 yards in the rear. Nearly an hour elapsed before the skirmish line of that corps connected with the skirmishers in front of the regiment. Between 11 and 12 m. the line, guiding left, charged and drove the enemy about a mile, when it was discovered that the Nineteenth Army Corps no longer connected with the regiment on the right, but had separated from it, leaving an interval of about 500 yards, and that the enemy were taking advantage of the break in our line. The troops on the left of the Nineteenth Army Corps had already been flanked and were giving way in confusion. The regiment continued to advance, however, until the whole brigade began to fall back, when the order to march in retreat was given. I may mention that at the time the line began to fall back the regiment was within a few hundred yards of a battery of the enemy, which they were endeavoring to draw away by hand, a part of which, at least, would undoubtedly have been captured had it not been for the break in the line mentioned above. When the regiment attempted to fall back it was found impossible to do so in any other way than to the left, along the line, as the enemy had an enfilading fire on the line and were almost in its rear. The regiment fell back to the Winchester and Berryville turnpike, where it was rallied, and again advanced to within easy range of the enemy's line where it was halted over an hour. About 4 or 5 p. m. skirmishers were again thrown forward and another advance was made. With the exception of a brief halt on the edge of the plain near Winchester, the regiment advanced steadily with the line from the point last mentioned until it reached the heights at Winchester; it then rested for a short time, when it moved by the flank through the town of Winchester and bivouacked for the night about two miles south of that place. During this engagement the regiment lost 9 killed, 28 wounded, and 4 missing. On the 20th instant the regiment again resumed the march in the column of the brigade and reached Strasburg the same day. About 1 p. m. on the 21st instant, the regiment again took up the line of march and moved toward the left of the enemy's lines at Fisher's Hill. Owing to the resistance made by the enemy it did not reach the point where it halted during the night until between 9 and 10 p. m. A portion of the night and of the morning following were consumed in erecting breast-works. On the morning of the 22d instant, about 11 o'clock, the regiment formed line of battle, with the One hundred and tenth Ohio Volunteers on the right and the One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers on the left, and advanced to and occupied a hill within a few hundred yards of the enemy's line of works. It

remained at this point nnder the fire of the enemy's sharpshooters the enemy, until about 6 p. m. who fled upon A charge was then made in great confusion from their works. In a fort on the line of the enemy's works, which the regiment was among the first to reach, was captured a cannon, and a little farther on some twelve or fifteen prisoners, including a colonel. The pursuit was continued with the greatest vigor until night, which closed the contest, found the colors of the regiment planted on the turnpike leading from Winchester to Staunton. The regiment lost but seven men wounded during this day's engage


I am, lieutenant, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
First Lieut. and Adjt., Comdg. 67th Regiment Pennsylvania Vols.
Lieut. JOHN A. GUMP,

Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 3d Div., 6th Army Corps.


November 25, 1864.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following, in compliance with circular dated headquarters Second Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, November, 1864, calling for a report of the part taken by my command in the battle of Cedar Creek, Va., on the 19th day of October, 1864:

The regiment on that day was encamped on a ridge near Cedar Creek, Va., and connected with the One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers on the right and a regiment of the Nineteenth Army Corps on the left. About daylight a heavy discharge of musketry was heard in the direction of that part of the line held by the Eighth Army Corps-the left. The regiment was immediately placed under arms. Orders to that effect were received soon after, and were followed by orders to pack up, the firing in the meantime continuing, only much nearer than when first heard and farther to the rear on the left flank of our lines. A dense fog prevailed, which lasted from daylight until about 10 a. m., rendering it impossible to see farther than a couple of hundred yards. About 6 a. m. the regiment, in pursuance of orders, moved by the right flank, following the One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers several hundred yards in the direction from which the firing proceeded, when it was ordered to right-about and return double quick to the ground originally occupied. This order had hardly been complied with when orders were again received to move in the same direction, as on the occasion first mentioned. After reaching a point several hundred yards in the rear of the house occupied by General Sheridan as his headquarters line of battle was formed, with the One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers on the right. may be mentioned here that but little over one-half the regiment was present, a picket detail of 100 men, with the proper number of officers, having been taken from it the day before, which had not yet been relieved. At this time the enemy was advancing in our front and on the left flank. The line of battle just alluded to had scarcely been formed when the troops immediately in front fell back through our ranks in considerable confusion, closely followed by the enemy. The regiment, however, maintained its line, though not without losing some men, who were carried back with the crowd which kept pouring to the


[ocr errors]
« PreviousContinue »