Page images

No. 66.


Reports of Lieut. Col. Otho H. Binkley, One hundred and tenth Ohio Infantry, of operations September 19-22 and October 19.


Camp in the Field, Va., September 27, 1864. LIEUTENANT: In obedience to orders from headquarters Second Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the One hundred and tenth Regiment in the engagements of the Opequon and Fisher's Hill:

On the 19th of September, at 2 a. m., by command of Col. J. Warren Keifer, commanding Second Brigade, the One hundred and tenth Regiment, under my command, broke camp at Clifton, and, with the balance of the brigade, marched toward Winchester. After crossing the Opequon and arriving within two miles and a half of the latter place lines of battle were formed, the One hundred and tenth being the extreme right of the second line of the Second Brigade and connecting on its left with the One hundred and twenty-second Ohio Regiment. About two hours after we had formed the Nineteenth Corps came up and formed on prolongation on our right. About 12 m. the order was given to advance. We charged the enemy's lines, driving them back until, by some means, the connection on our right was broken, and we, in turn, were compelled to fall back a short distance. At this juncture the First Division, which had been held in reserve, came up to our support. We then, by direction of Colonel Keifer, took a position under fire a little farther to the left, when I threw out a strong skir mish line, under command of Captain Shellenberger, sufficient to cover the whole front of the brigade. Skirmishing was kept up for about two hours, when we were informed by General Sheridan, who came riding along our lines, that Averell's cavalry had succeeded in turning the enemy's left. We then charged with the balance of the line, completely routing the enemy. My skirmishers passed through Winchester, driving the enemy before them and then rejoined the regi ment on Winchester Heights, with the loss of only one man wounded. After dark we marched through Winchester and rested for the night near the city. In this engagement Captains Van Eaton and Trimble and Lieutenants Simes and Deeter were severely wounded; the latter has since died of his wounds; also 7 enlisted men killed and 43 wounded.

On the morning of the 20th we resumed our march and arrived near Strasburg, a distance of eighteen miles, in the afternoon, and found the enemy in strong position on Fisher's Hill. In the afternoon of the 21st the regiment, with the balance of the brigade, took a position about three miles to the right of Strasburg and during the night threw up breast-works. On the 22d, at about 12 m., the left wing of the regi ment, under command of Major Spangler, was placed on the skirmish line. Skirmishing was kept up until about 2 o'clock, when the line made a charge and took the hill in front, which they held until evening, when a grand charge was made and the enemy driven at every point. They ran in wild confusion, leaving everything behind them, and were followed all night.

Both officers and men behaved well, some of them performing deeds. of valor seldom excelled. Lieut. Robert W. Wiley, of Company B, acting aide-de-camp to the colonel commanding, with William Wise and Elias A. Barr, of Company I, and O. A. Ashbrook, of Company I

One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio Volunteers, captured one captain and twenty men at one time. The regiment captured four pieces of


I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieut. JOHN A. GUMP,

Lieutenant-Colonel 110th Ohio Volunteers.

Actg. Asst. Adft. Gen., 2d Brig., 3d Div., 6th Army Corps.

[ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors]


Camp at Cedar Creek, Va., November 2, 1864. CAPTAIN: In compliance with orders I have the honor to report the following part taken by the One hundred and tenth Regiment in the

battle of Cedar Creek:

Just before daylight on the 19th of October firing was heard along our picket lines. By order of Colonel Keifer, the One hundred and tenth Regiment, with the balance of the brigade, was immediately put under arms and awaited orders. In about an hour's time it was discovered that the enemy had succeeded in turning the left of the Eighth Corps, having taken it by surprise, and that the whole line, together with that of the Nineteenth Corps, was rapidly giving way. The Sixth Corps was ordered up to check the advancing foe, the Second Brigade forming the right of the line and the One hundred and tenth Regiment forming the extreme right of the brigade. We advanced to a stone wall, near corps headquarters, where we were met by a severe fire from the front and from the left flank. The destructiveness of the fire and the falling back of the broken lines in our front caused us to fall back a short distance and become temporarily detached from the brigade. The enemy continued to advance and the regiment, with others, fell back slowly, making frequent stands in order to check his advance as much as possible, until we reached a point where a decisive Stand could be made. We continued to move back in this manner for about a mile, when we rejoined the brigade and with it moved back to where the final stand was made. At about 3 p. m. the One hundred and tenth Regiment and a detachment of the One hundred and thirtyeighth Pennsylvania Regiment, under my command, were deployed as skirmishers and advanced toward the edge of the woods, in which the Third Division was then lying. About 5 o'clock I received orders to advance the skirmish line, which I did, the lines of battle in rear advancing at the same time. the same time. After advancing about 400 yards the whole of both lines halted. Rapid firing was kept up for some time, when we again advanced across a corn-field, where the lines again halted and continued firing until the enemy gave way along the whole line. The One hundred and tenth, with the balance of the troops, followed the retreating and demoralized foe until we reached our old camp from which we had been driven in the morning.

In the operations of the day the regiment lost 5 enlisted men killed and 27 wounded.

During the early part of the engagement Capt. W. Devenney, while nobly discharging his duty, fell mortally wounded. Captain Shellenberger was slightly wounded late in the day.

Both officers and men behaved with marked coolness and bravery during the whole engagement. One of the enemy's battle-flags fell into

the hands of a member of Company K, but was afterward given up to an officer of a New York regiment in the Nineteenth Corps who claimed to have the first right to it.

I have the honor to remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant, O. H. BINKLEY, Lieutenant-Colonel 110th Ohio Volunteers, Comdg. Regiment.



Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 3d Div., 6th Army Corps.

No. 67.

Report of Col. William H. Ball, One hundred and twenty-second Ohio Infantry, of operations September 19-22.


Harrisonburg, Va., September 27, 1864. LIEUTENANT: I-have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by my regiment in the late engagements at the Opequon and at Fisher's Hill, the 19th and 22d instant:

The One hundred and twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry marched from Clifton at 2 o'clock the morning of the 19th and formed in the second line, two miles and a half west of the Opequon, near the Berryville. road, the One hundred and tenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry on my right, the Ninth New York Heavy Artillery on my left. At noon the regi ment, with the brigade, advanced upon the enemy, with the guide to the left. While advancing through the open woods our lines were shelled with great accuracy by two rebel batteries occupying positions to our left. In passing through the woods the One hundred and tenth Ohio became detached, leaving my regiment the right of the rear line of the brigade. A few moments after we came upon the open field in front, the rebel line broke, and both infantry and artillery were in full and speedy retreat toward Winchester. My regiment, in common with those in front and on my left, pressed after the retreating line. The troops on my right were checked and driven back by the enemy, posted in a wood hill near my right. We moved on, passed that wood, crossed a deep ravine to a corn-field, where, there being no connection on my right, I posted fifty men to guard my flank; then I moved on, until finding a space of 600 yards unoccupied on my right, I halted the two regiments, and the rebels, shortly after, making some demonstrations at a third piece of woods, I changed front, by throwing back my right, so as to correspond with the rebel position. We had occupied this position but a short time, when a column of troops, partly concealed by intervening corn, moved up from the rebel left bearing the U. S. flag, and took position at the skirt of the woods in front of my line. Immediately quick firing opened from that line, the discharges being apparently toward the rebel rear. No bullets came toward us, and no other troops were in front of that line. I immediately ordered the troops with me to advance to support that line, having no doubt it was composed of Federal troops closely engaged with the enemy. On advancing some fifty paces we received an active fire from that direction, but supposing it to be the fire of the enemy from beyond we continued to advance until I discovered the fire was directly from that line. Apprehending that a force was moving down the ravine to our right and rear, and that the

[ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors]

force in front was to detain us until cut off, and every regiment having disappeared from the front and left. I ordered the regiment to retire to an elevation behind the ravine. With other troops, the regiment again advanced to the line from which we had retired, and there remained

nder fire of sharpshooters an hour or two; then advanced with the 1 ine (there being but one line) toward Winchester, and assisted in dispersing the rebel army on the plain north of Winchester; then moved with the division to the heights of Winchester; thence to the town

outhward to bivouac.

On the 20th marched to position near Strasburg. On the 21st moved with the corps to the right, and occupied a position between Fisher's Hill and the mountain, where we intrenched. On the 22d, at noon, marched by the right flank half a mile, then to the front to a hill near the rebelline. The left wing of the regiment was detached for the skir mish line under Lieutenant-Colonel Granger. Three additional detachments were sent to the skirmish line, embracing all the remaining line officers and enlisted men of my regiment. Skirmishing was sharp during the advance. When the rebel left was turned by General Crook, the regiment charged, with the brigade, upon the breast-works in our front; assisted in routing the enemy and chasing him till dark.

My officers and men conducted themselves splendidly on both the 19th and 22d. I beg leave to name Sergt. Daniel Shook, of Company G, as having exhibited distinguishing energy and courage in both


Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieutenant GUMP,

W. H. BALL, Colonel, Commanding.

Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 3d Div., 6th Army Corps.



No. 68.

Report of Lieut. Col. Moses M. Granger, One hundred and twenty-second
Ohio Infantry, of operations October 19.


November 7, 1864.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to transmit the following report of the Operations of this regiment in the battle of Cedar Creek, on the 19th of October, 1864:

[ocr errors]

I was aroused at daybreak on that morning by the sound of heavy musketry on the extreme left of the army, and at once ordered the regi ment under arms; formed line, stacked arms, caused the men to pack their tents and knapsacks, and sent the regimental pack animals to the rear and the headquarters tents, &c., to the brigade wagons. By the time this was done Colonel Ball, who had succeeded to the command Of the brigade, moved his command by the right flank several hundred yards in the direction of Middletown, and then, by order, returned to Camp. By this time the enemy had succeeded in driving the portion of our forces engaged to the west side of the turnpike, and bullets began to fall on our ground, and but a few moments had passed when we were again marched by the right flank toward Middletown. When just beyond Sixth Corps headquarters the brigade halted and faced to the right, bringing the rear rank in front, the One hundred and twenty


second being in the front line, with the One hundred and tenth on its right and the One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio on its left. Being ordered to take the hill near General Sheridan's headquarters, the line moved forward and my regiment crossed the creek and began to ascend the opposite slope. A part of the Nineteenth Corps passing to the rear in a mass struck the right of my regiment and the left of the One hun dred and tenth at the white house near General Wright's headquar ters, and the brigade became divided in two parts. The order for the advance was countermanded and I recrossed the creek, and, following the direction taken by the One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio, formed ou the right of that regiment in line with the First Brigade behind the crest of the hill north of headquarters Third Division, Sixth Corps, but immediately advanced to the crest of the hill, driving back the enemy, who had followed us closely. He fell back in haste and disorder across the ravine and beyond the opposite hill, leaving several prisoners in our hands. Retaining for a time the position thus gained, and having no enemy on our front, we directed our fire with some effect upon a column of rebels then marching through our camp-ground in the direc tion of the extreme right. Meanwhile, another body of the enemy advanced on the left and appeared on a ridge to our left and rear. Observing the remainder of the Second Brigade in good line, several hundred yards to the right and a little to the rear of our then position, we faced about, and marching to the left oblique, passed through a heavy cross-fire, that occasioned many of the casualties hereinafter re ported, and rejoined the brigade. The brigade then moved under orders and with steadiness to the rear and found a line formed along a lane and protected by hastily piled rails, and shortly before 9 a. m. took position on the left of this line in a wood.

About 9.30 a. m. the whole line was marched near a mile to the rear, then to the right (that is, toward the turnpike), we being faced to the rear, forming a connection with the Second Division, Sixth Corps, and then to the front again, taking position about 10 a. m. about one mile and a quarter north of Middletown. Here the Sixth Maryland was on my left and the Ninth New York Heavy [Artillery] on my right. No firing occurred ou or from my line from about a quarter before 9 a. m. until the general advance in the afternoon. About 3.30 the line advanced, but the guide being to the left, before the extreme right was felt by the enemy he had detected our movement and we received a heavy fire of both musketry and shell from a force posted in a wood on our right. Under this fire a portion of the troops on the right belonging, I suppose, to the First Division were somewhat disordered, being most exposed to the cross-fire, and part of the Second Division, on our left, began to move rapidly to the rear. This caused first, hesitation; next, a retrograde movement of our line; but order was almost immediately restored and the advance resumed. The enemy endeavored to hold fast to a stone fence on our front about three-quarters of a mile north of Middletown, and succeeded in delaying us for from twenty to thirty minutes, but advantage being taken of a transverse fence and a sudden and very heavy fire opened on him from the front and partially from the flank he fled with precipitation, and notwithstanding several efforts to reform. his lines under cover of the well-directed fire of a battery placed near Middletown he was carried steadily backward until night-fall found us on the bank of Cedar Creek with our foe fleeing in utter rout before our cavalry. Pursuant to orders, my regiment at once reoccupied its camp. A leave of absence for Capt. Gilbert H. Bargar had arrived on the evening of the 18th and was given him on the morning of the 19th

« PreviousContinue »