Page images

He maintained his usual reputation for cool courage and excellent judgment and skill. Capt. John S. Stuckey, One hundred and thirtyeighth Pennsylvania, lost a leg. Maj. Charles M. Cornyn, One hundred and twenty-second Ohio; Captains Feight and Walter, One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania; Captain Williams, Lieutenants Patterson, Wells, and Crooks, One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio; Captains Hawkins and Rouzer and Lieutenant Smith, Sixth Maryland; Lieutenants Fish and Colvin, Ninth New York Heavy Artillery; Captains Van Eaton and Trimble and Lieutenants Deeter and Simes, One hundred and tenth Ohio, are among the many officers more or less severely wounded. Lieutenant Deeter has since died. I cannot too highly commend their gallantry. Capt. J. P. Dudrow, One hundred and twenty-second, Ohio, and Lieut. R. W. Wiley, One hundred and tenth Ohio, were each slightly wounded while acting as aides-de-camp upon my staff.

The enemy was pursued on the 20th to Fisher's Hill, about one mile and a half south of Strasburg, Va., on the Staunton turnpike, where he was strongly fortified in an apparently impregnable position. This brigade bivouacked with the corps near Strasburg. About 12 m. on the 21st the brigade, except the Ninth New York Heavy Artillery, which was detailed as wagon guard, moved with the corps to the right of Strasburg, and was formed again upon the extreme right of the corps. In compliance with an order from Brigadier-General Ricketts, I ordered forward the One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio, commanded by Capt. G. W. Hoge, to aid in, driving the enemy from a hill in our front. The regiment soon became engaged with the enemy. The Sixth, Maryland, commanded by Capt. C. K. Prentiss, was soon after ordered forward to its support. After a brisk fight the two regiments charged and took the heights, thereby gaining a very important position, upon which the troops bivouacked for the night. In this affair the One hun dred and twenty-sixth Ohio had 4 enlisted men killed and 17 wounded, and the Sixth Maryland had 7 enlisted men wounded. Captains Hoge and Prentiss displayed great gallantry in this action.

The brigade remained in the position occupied on the night of the 21st instant until about 12 m. of the 22d instant. The Sixth Maryland, being on the skirmish line, was constantly engaged with the enemy's skirmishers. At the hour last named, as directed by Brigadier-General Ricketts, the brigade moved off to the right and upon the enemy's left and, with the First Brigade, Third Division, as a support, attacked and drove the enemy from two hills, which he held in considerable force. So rapid was his flight that he abandoned shelter-tents, blankets, and a considerable amount of infantry ammunition. During this advance I ordered the Sixth Maryland to push forward upon the extreme left of my skir mish line to resist an attack from the enemy in that direction, which it was successful in doing. In this attack portions of the One hundred and tenth and One hundred and twenty-second Ohio were thrown forward as a strong line of skirmishers under the command of Lieut. Col. M. M. Granger, One hundred and twenty-second Ohio, Major Aaron Spangler, commanding the One hundred and tenth Ohio. Colonel Granger and Major Spangler exhibited their usual skill and good judg ment in the successful management of troops. The skirmishers were pushed over the crest of the hill and to within long rifle range of the enemy's main works, in which were mounted heavy guns. The brigade was formed behind the crest of the hill confronting the enemy. Although near the enemy he was not able to do us much injury with his artillery. Sharp skirmishing continued until about 4 p. m., when



e O



[ocr errors]










the Eighth Corps commenced an advance some distance farther to the right and upon the left flank and rear of the enemy. A heavy fire had been opened upon the enemy's works by artillery to my rear and left. Mskirmishers were pressed forward with orders to halt near the en emy's works and open fire upon his gunners. The whole line soon ter advanced and charged the works, capturing many prisoners and r guns, and dispersing the rebel infantry in all directions. As we arged a battery opened upon my men still farther to our left. The ghth Corps came up on our immediate right, and with them we moved ward without delay and charged the second battery, capturing it also. t about this time the whole army commenced advancing, the Eighth Orps and Third Division, Sixth Corps, being fully upon the enemy's it flank and rear, pushed forward with wild and victorious shouts ong the entire line of the enemy from his left to extreme right, capring all his artillery in position, and capturing and dispersing his oops. Not a regiment or company of the enemy left the field in any ing like order. Of the number of pieces of artillery captured this igade is entitled to the credit of capturing eight at least. The numEr of prisoners captured by the brigade I cannot state. Many of the ptured prisoners were left behind to be picked up by others in the ar. It is said that through neglect to place guards over captured tillery others who came up later guarded and claimed it as their capre. The brigade pursued the enemy with the corps all night. The ursuit of the fugitive enemy was continued by the infantry to Harrisonburg, Va., at which place the army arrived on the 25th instant. Thas ended the glorious victory at Fisher's Hill, the enemy's supposed "haven of security."






The loss in my brigade on the 22d was very light, considering the result attained.

Many acts of daring bravery were performed by officers and men of this command. Lieut. R. W. Wiley, with Privates O. A. Ashbrook, One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio, William Wise and Elias A. Barr, Company I, One hundred and tenth Ohio, rushed in advance of the line and captured Captain Ashby (brother of the late rebel General Ashby) and twenty-one men. Sergt. Albert J. Rouston and Private Elias Wreights, Company B, One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania, were the first in a fort in which they captured one officer and thirty men. Each party brought their prisoners away securely. Other instances of similar character might be mentioned.

The loss in my command in killed and wounded from the 19th to the 22d of September, 1864, inclusive, was 4 officers and 54 enlisted men killed, and 25 officers and 314 enlisted men wounded, making an aggregate of 397 killed and wounded.

Hereto appended will be found a summary of casualties by regiments. Throughout the two engagements Lieut. Col. Otho H. Binkley, Maj. Aaron Spangler, One hundred and tenth Ohio; Col. William H. Ball, Lieut. Col. M.M. Granger, and Maj. Charles M. Cornyn, One hundred and wenty-second Ohio; Capt. G. W. Hoge, One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio; Capts. C. K. Prentiss and J. J. Bradshaw, Sixth Maryland; Maj. Charles Burgess, Ninth New York Heavy Artillery, and others, displayed great bravery, skill, and energy in the discharge of their important duties. Col. M. R. McClennan, One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania, remained upon the field at Opequon gallantly doing his duty until from exhaustion he was obliged to go to the rear. He was weak and still suffering from a recent illness. One or two officers only are known to deserve censure and punishment for their inefficiency and


bad conduct. First Lieut. John A. Gump, acting assistant adjutant general; First Lieut. J. T. Rorer, brigade inspector; Capt. J. P. Dudrow Lieut. Charles H. Kuhn, and Lieut. R. W. Wiley, acting aides de camp on my staff, were conspicuous for bravery and good conduct. hei promptuess in the delivery of orders, and skill and good judgment in carrying them out, entitle them to the highest praise.

The already great length of this report forbids my making specia mention of acts of distinguished bravery by members of my stall. Cap tain Dudrow and Lieutenants Gump and Rorer each had one horse shot and Lieutenant Wiley had two horses shot under him while in the discharge of their duty. Orderly Lewis B. Paul, One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio, was wounded and had his horse killed under him while carrying the brigade flag in the battle of Opequon. Orderly Lewis H. Shreeve, Sixth Maryland, also had his horse shot under him. Orderly Richard Netz, One hundred and twenty-sixth Ohio, and those just named were cool and gallant.

My orders were throughout received from Brig. Gen. J. B. Ricketts, commanding division, and through members of his staff. To General Ricketts and each member of his staff I beg to acknowledge my grati tude and obligatious for their kind courtesy and uniform generous treatment.

Regimental reports of operations and a nominal list of casualties* are herewith transmitted.

I am, captain, very truly, your obedient and humble servant,
Colonel 110th Volunteer Infantry, Commanding Brigade.


Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., Third Division, Sixth Army Corps.

No. 61.

Report of Col. William H. Ball, One hundred and twenty-second Ohio Infantry, commanding Second Brigade, of operations October 19.


October 20, 1864. CAPTAIN: I have the honor of making the following report of the. part taken by the Second Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, in the battle of Cedar Creek, October 19, 1-64:

The troops were aroused at dawn of day by musketry to our left.. Shortly after the lines were fo med the command of the brigade devolved upon myself, in consequence of changes resulting from the absence of General Sheridan. The brigade was formed in two linesthe first composed of the Ninth New York Heavy Artillery, One bundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania, and a portion of the Sixty-seventh Pennsylvania; the second embraced the Sixth Maryland, One hundred and twenty-sixth, One hundred and twenty-second, and One hundred and tenth Ohio; the regiments occupied positions from right to left as named. Before sunrise I received orders to move by the right flauk toward the pike. After moving a short distance in that direction. orders were received to return to the position from which we had just moved and await. orders. Shortly thereafter I was ordered to move in

Casualties embodied in tables, pp. 113, 121.

[merged small][ocr errors][merged small]









the same manner and direction as before. The brigade moved to an elevation near and in rear of army headquarters, where it came under fire. The lines were faced by the rear rank; the second, now become e first, moved forward to meet the advancing foe and hold a crest in fr ont. The troops moved gallantly and drove back the advance of e enemy and became warmly engaged, capturing several prisoners. bout this time a large number of the Nineteenth Army Corps passed rough the line and broke its organization. The line could not be formed at that place in consequence of numbers retreating over the round. The greater part of the troops of that line collected and formed pon the remaining line. The brigade was then under severe fire, from oth infantry and artillery. Troops left the field on both my right and ft, until the brigade was w thout immediate support. At this critical eriod the Ninth New York Heavy Artillery behaved with coolness nd gallantry. Under orders the troops moved back with great reguarity a short distance to another elevation, where they were met by nother order to retire to a road half a mile farther to the rear. he road the position was occupied a few minutes, the troops of the Eighth Army Corps on my left. I was then ordered to move to the left. did so, connecting with the left of the Eighth Army Corps. Having ow no connection on my left, and being in a thick wood of oak and edlar, I directed Captain Prentiss, Sixth Maryland, to protect the left ank by skirmishers. The direction was promptly carried out.


After occupying this position some time I received orders to move to The rear. I did so, the troops of the Eighth Army Corps passing to my Yeft, and took position a mile to the rear of that last occupied. Here we were ordered to move obliquely to the left and rear and connect with the right of the Second Division, Sixth Army Corps. We connected with the right of the Eighth Army Corps at a stone fence in a Wood near the pike. Defensive works were hastily constructed of such material as could readily be had, and the troops, it being noou, rested Some two hours or more. Lieutenant-Colonel Binkley, One hundred and tenth Ohio, was ordered to deploy his regiment and One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania as skirmishers and advance to the front of the woods in which we were resting and observe the movements of the enemy. An hour after Colonel Binkley notified me that the enemy were moving on the right of our line in force. An attack was made, but repulsed before extending to my brigade. The skirmishers were exposed to a more or less active fire of musketry. Artillery was also brought to bear on our skirmish line, but without effect. While we were in this position Major-General Sheridan rode along the line from left to right encouraging the men. He was greeted with most enthusiastic cheers by the troops. This was the first assurance the army ad of his return. About 3 p. m. the whole army advanced in one line pon the enemy. Immediately before advancing the troops were withdrawn to the left, and my left connected with the Second Division, Sixth Army Corps, while my right connected with the First Brigade, Third Division. We advanced half a mile to the edge of the woods, when we were met by a well-directed fire from the right flank. This fire was returned with spirit some fifteen minutes, when the troops wavered and fell back a short distance in some disorder. The Second and Third Divisions gave way at the same time. The line was speedily reformed and moved forward and became engaged with the enemy again, each force occupying a stone wall. Advantage was taken of a wall or fence running perpendicular to and connecting with that occupied by the enemy. After the action had continued here about three-quarters of an


hour a heavy volley was fired at the enemy from the transverse wall. A hurried and general retreat of the enemy immediately followed, and our troops eagerly followed, firing upon the retreating army as it ran, and giving no opportunity to the enemy to reform or make a stand.

Several efforts were made by the enemy during the pursuit to rally, but the enthusiastic pursuit foiled all such efforts. Our troops were subject to artillery fire of solid shot, shell, and grape during the pursuit, and we reached the intrenchments .of the Ninteenth Army Corps (which were captured in the morning) as the sun set. Here the pursuit by the infantry was discontinued. The first and second, and probably the third, colors planted on the recovered works of the Nineteenth Army Corps were of regiments composing this brigade.

Lieut. John A. Gump, of the One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry Volunteers, acting assistant adjutant-general on brigade staff, fell mortally wounded early in the action. LieutenantGump was a gallant officer. Lieutenant Kuhn, Sixth Maryland, acting aide-de-camp on brigade staff, fell seriously, if not mortally, wounded in the afternoon. Second Lieutenant Wiley, One hundred and tenth Ohio, acting aide-de-camp on brigade staff, was captured by the enemy while returning from the ammunition train to his brigade. He was a gallant and daring officer. Through the entire day the conduct of Lieut. Jonathan T. Rorer, One hundred and thirty-eighth Pennsylvania, acting assistant inspector-general on brigade staff, was most gallant and efficient. All the staff officers of the brigade are entitled to com mendation.

The following is a list of the casualties that occurred in the brigade during the action:*

[graphic][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][merged small][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][merged small][ocr errors][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed][subsumed]

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

W. H. BALL, Colonel 122d Ohio Vol. Infty., Temporarily Comdg. Second Brig. Capt. A. J. SMITH,

Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Third Div., Sixth Corps.

No. 62.

Report of Capt. Clifton K. Prentiss, Sixth Maryland Infantry, of oper ations September 19-25.


September 27, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to report that on the 19th of September, at 2 a. m., the regiment of which I have command broke camp near Clifton

*But see revised table, p. 132.

« PreviousContinue »