« PreviousContinue »
32 And the Decree of Esther confirmed these Matters of · Purim, and it was written in the Book.
CH A P. X. i Ahasuerus his Greatness. 3 Mordecai's Advancement.
Ver. 1 AND the King Ahasuerus laid a Tribute upon the
A Land, and upon the Isles of the Sea. 2 And all the Acts of his Power, and of his Might, and the Declaration of the Greatness of Mordecai, whereunto . the King advanced him, are they not written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Media and Perfa?
3 For Mordecai the Jew was next unto King Ahasuerus, and great among the Jews, and accepted of the Maltitude of his Brethren, seeking the Wealth of his people, and speaking Peace to all his Seed.
RULERs and Kings of the Hebrew Na
tion, from their Deliverance out of Egypt, to the Babylonish Captivity.
I. Moses. Being taken out of the Waters by Pharaob's Daughter, is bred up in the Court, and instructed in all the Learning of the Egyptians.
When he was forty Years old he quits Egypt, and goes into the Land of Midian, where he keeps Sheep. After forty Years God appears to him, and commands him to return to Egypt, and to demand from the King the Deliverance of the Ifraelites; which Pbaraob refusing is punished with ten feveral Plagues : After many Signs and Miracles wrought by him, the Ifraelites march out of Egypt; Pharaob and his whole Army pursuing them, are drowned in the Red Sea.
He conducts the Israelites forty Years in the Wildernefs, who are subfifted every Day by miraculous Bread and Water. He receives the ten Commandments in Mount Sinai, his Face is eradiated with Celestial Glory; has only a View of the promised Land from a high Mountain, and dies 120 Years old.
Wilderness, wa Water. His Face is eradiac
II. JOSHUA is appointed to be Captain of the Lord's Hoft. He conquers all the Land of Canaan, at his Prayer the Sun stands still, he dies in Peace, being 100 Years old. .
After youd's Death, the People falling into Idolatry are first rebuked by an Angel, and severely punished by Invasions from several Nations; but from
these Oppressions they are delivered by the Judges upon their Supplications to the Almighty.
III. The Judges appointed to be the Deliverers of the Israelites.
1. Othniel from the King of Mefopotomia.
2. Ebud from the Oppressions of the King of Moab.
3. Shamgar from the Philistines.
9. Jepthab from the Ammonites, : 10. Ibsam.
11. Elon. * 12, Abdon.
13. Eli. In the Time of his Priesthood and Government, the Ark is taken by the Philistines. 1.14.Sampfon destroys great numbers of the Philistines, both in his Life, and at the Time of his Death.
15. Samuel. .:
This Government by the Judges continued
about 450 Years.
IV. The KINGS.
1. Saul. The Israelites that they might be like a ther Nations impatiently desire a King. Samuel is ordered to anoint Saul, who, disobeying the posi. tive Command of God is deserted and left under the Infuence of an Evil Spirit. Being vanquished in
Battle, he attempts to murder himself, and is killed by an Ainalekite..
2. David is appointed to succeed Saul. While he is keeping his Father's Sheep, he kills a Lyon and a Bear, and rescues his Lambs. Being animated with a Divine Fortitude; encounters and kills Goliah, who had struck a pannick Fear into all the Hebrew Army. He is often delivered from the Rage of Saul, who endeavoured to destroy him.
Afrer Saul's Death he is proclaimed King, fubdues all the Nations from the Banks of the Euphra., tes to the Borders of Egypt.
His Sin in the matter of Uriah, is severely punished by the Rebellion of Absalom, and many Disorders in his Family; and his vain Glory in numbring the People by a great Pestilence. .
Upon his solemn Repentance he is restored to the Divine Favour, composes the sacred Book of Psalms, gives Directions for the building the Temple, for which he leaves to Solomon his Son an immense Treasure, and dies, after he had reigned 40 Years.
3. Solomon his Successor reigned 40 Years. Is most. renowned for his Wisdon), and finishes the Building of the Temple in the 3000 Year from the Creation, reigns many Years in Peace. .
But being captivated by the Love of outlandish Women, permits the Idolatry of the Gentiles to be introduc'd; for which he is punished by Hadad a fugitive Prince, who conquers part of his Dominions.
And by a Prophet is threatned with the Revolt of . the Ten Tribes.
Repenting of his Idolatry, writes the Book of Ecclesiastes.
The Division of the Kingdom, by the
Revolt of the Ten Tribes. · Kings of Judah. i Kings of Ifrael.
1. Rehoboam 13 Years. 1. Jeroboam 22 Years. His Tyranny and Folly Sets up the Idolatry of the occasions the Revolt of two Calves at Dan and the Ten Tribes. The E-Bethel. Is threatned by a gyptian Army invades his Prophet who foretels che Kingdom. Upon his Hu- Destruction of his whole miliation he is delivered. Family. - 2. Abijam 3 Years. 2. Nadab 2 Years. Is Trusting in God obtains a murdered by Baasha, who great Victory over Jero- destroys all the Family of boam, in which 500,000 Jeroboam. , Ifraelites were Nain.
3. Baasha 24 Years. Is 3. Asa 41 Years. Sup- severely reproved by ye. preslech Idolatry, and hu the Prophet, who imploring the Aid of the threatens him with the DeAlmighty, vanquishes the struction of his family. Ethiopian Army, consist. 4. Elab, his Son, 2 ing of a thousand thou- | Years. Is murdered by fand.
Zimri an Officer in the Being reproved by Ha- Army, who destroys the nani, for entring into an whole Family of Baaba. Alliance with the King of 1 5. Zimri is besieged by Syria, in his Rage im. Omri in Tirzab, burns the prisons the Prophet, for Kings Palace, and perishes which he is amicted with in the Flames. an incurable Disease, and 6. Tibni and Omri. Tibni died in the forty first Year dies, Omri reigas 12 of his Reign.
Years, builds Samaria. 4. Jebohaphat his Son 1 7. Abab Son of Omri 25 Years. Walking in the 22 Years. Builds a TemWays of David, enjoys ple for Baal. The Idolaa pro