« PreviousContinue »
1. A Devotee, who had been standing eight years, 2. A Devotee, whose finger-nails were eight inches long, 3. A Devotee, whose arms were constantly elevated, 4. Hindu of Bengal, of high rank, in full dress, 5. Mohammedan of Bengal, of high rank, in full dress, 6. Byragee playing on a Timbrel, 7. Mohman Khaun, Nabob of Cambay, . 8. Culi Chief, . 9. Culi Soldier of the Forests of Rajputana, 10. Minaret at Delhi, .. 11. Columns of a Temple at Benares, . 12. Columns from the ruins of a Temple at Barolli, 13. Temple of Vishnu, at Mahabalipooram, South India, 14. Entrance to the Cave Temple of Elephanta, 15. A Mosque at Delhi, 16. Hindu College at Calcutta, 17. Fort of Haje Ka, on the Indus, 18. Town and Fort of Roree, on the Indus, . 19. Fort of Burkhur, on the Indus, 20. Hindu Family and Dwelling, 21. Travelling in a Palankeen, . 22. Specimens of Hindu Jewelry, 23. Celebrating the Huli Festival, . 24. A Brahmin Reading the Shasters, 25. A Volume of the Shasters, written on Palm Leaf, 26. Vishnu reposing on his Serpent Couch, 27. Interior of a House in the City of Benares, 28. Temple of Kali near Calcutta, 29. The Goddess Kali,
30. Temple at Tanjore,
31. Images found among Ancient Ruins at Gaya,
32. Temple near Allahabad,
33. Two Portraits,
34. A View in the City of Benares,
85. Presenting Offerings to a Mendicant Priest,
36. An Infant Victim of Superstition, .
37. Interior of a Chapel at Cuttack,
38. Baber, the founder of the Mogul Empire,
39. Ruins in the City of Delhi,
40. Interior of a Choultry,
41. Union of the Ganges and Jumna, .
42. The Sick, brought to the Ganges,
43. A Pilgrim at his Devotions, .
44. The God of Wisdom, Dancing Girl, and Musicians,
45. The Great Temple of Juggernaut at Puri,
46. Portrait of Juggernaut,
47. Car and Procession of Juggernaut,
48. The Goddess Luckshme, copied from an Ancient Sculpture,
49. Ceremony of the Swinging of Krishna,
60. A Tank and Temple near Benares,
51. The India Ox, .
52. A Devotee leaping from a Precipice,
53. Transforming a Woman into an Evil Spirit by burning her alive, .
54. A Group of Women,
55. Interior of a Dwelling,
56. Saugor Island,
57. Bannian Tree,
LECTURE ON WOMEN.
Commencing at Page 129.
58. Three Hindu Girls, educated at Burdwan,
59. Women of Calcutta,
60. Hindu Woman of Bengal, of high rank, in full dress,
61. Mohammedan Woman of Bengal, of high rank, in full dress,
62. Parsee Woman of Bombay, of high rank, in full dress,
63. Hindu Dancing Girl,
64. Kyan Woman,
65. Hindu Woman of the Brahmin Caste, .
66. Hindu Mother lamenting the Death of her Child,
DESCRIPTION OF THE THUGS.
Commencing at Page 169.
67. A Thug disguised as a Merchant,
88. Carrier of Ganges Water, ·
69. Interior of a Cave Temple at Ellora,
70. A Thug going to a Feast,
71. A Mohammedan at Prayer,
72. Indru, King of the Minor Deities,
78. Cottage in the Forest,
DESCRIPTION OF FESTIVALS.
Commencing at Page 201.
74. Procession at a Hindu Festival,
75. Image of the Goddess Durga, .
76. A Hindu Family carrying Offerings to an Idol,
77. Returning from a Sacrifice of Animals,
78. Dancing in Celebration of the Durga Festival,
79. Consigning an Image of Kali to the Ganges,
SPECIMENS OF THE SHASTERS.
Commencing at Page 237.
80. Gautama, or Budh,
81. Chinese Budh,
83. Another Form of Brahma,
84. Huneman, .
85. Another Form of Huneman,
87 Ganesa, the God of Wisdom,
88. Serpent God,
89. Colossal Bust of Shiva, from the Temple of Elephanta,
91. Temple of Nandi, at Tanjore, .
92. Kartika, the God of War,