The Imperial Gazetteer of India, Volume 5

Front Cover
Trübner & Company, 1885 - India
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Selected pages

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 281 - It is, however, surpassed in size and magnificence by its neighbour, the great temple at Hullabid, which, had it been completed, is one of the buildings on which the advocate of Hindu architecture would desire to take his stand.
Page 237 - Governor-General agreed that the force stipulated for in the Sixth Article of the treaty of 1768 should be granted whenever applied for, provided it was not to be employed against any power in alliance with the Company.
Page 236 - Karnatic (who was a party to the treaty) were to be always ready to send two battalions of Sepoys and six pieces of artillery, manned by Europeans...
Page 208 - Pathankot and the neighbouring villages in the plain, together with the whole hill portion of the district, formed part of the area ceded by the Sikhs to the British after the first Sikh war in 1846.
Page 144 - The diamonds of Golconda have obtained great celebrity throughout the world ; but they were merely cut and polished there, having been generally found at Parteall, in a detached portion of the Nizam's dominions, near the southern frontier, in lat. 16° 40', long. 80° 28...
Page 453 - The most westerly and, for commercial purposes, the most important channel by which the GANGES enters the Bay of Bengal. It takes its distinctive name near the town of Santipur, 64 miles from Calcutta, and some distance above the point where the waters of the Bhdgfrathi join those of the Mdtdbhdngd.
Page 83 - ... into which prisoners are said to have been thrown and allowed to die of starvation. The top of the boulder can only be reached by means of a ladder, but the hollow has now been filled up with rubbish. The metal of which the gun is made has little or no rust. It has the figures 7560 stamped on the breech. A little to the south of Rajdgiri is a fourth hill called Chakli Drug. The summit is strongly fortified, but these fortifications are not connected with those of Gingi. History. — As mentioned...
Page 318 - But the action of the figure is most decidedly opposed to this identification; and I am therefore inclined to assign the statue to Durga, the consort of Siva, to whom Vishnu gave his discus, and Siva his trident. This attribution is the more probable as there is, close beside it, a squatted male figure with eight arms, which can only be Siva, and on the outside of the temple there is a Lingam, and a statue of the bull Nandi. There...
Page 188 - These hills consist of a friable tertiary sandstone and conglomerate, totally destitute of vegetation, and presenting to the view a mere barren chaos of naked rock, deeply scored with precipitous ravines.
Page 331 - Population (1871) 668,417; (1881) 535,806 persons; density of population, 285 persons per square mile. The administrative head-quarters are at the town of HASSAN, in the centre of the District. Physical Aspects. — The main portion of the District consists of the river basin of the HEMAVATI and its tributaries. It naturally divides into two portions — the Malndd or hill country, which includes some of the highest ranges of the Western Ghdts ; and the Maidan or plain country, sloping towards the...

Bibliographic information