Page images

HDQRS. COMPANY E, FIFTEENTH KANSAS VOL. CAVALRY, Osage Catholic Mission, Kans., September 20, 1864. SIR: I have the honor to forward the following additional particulars f the late raid:

Both officers and men have been constantly arriving here during the lay. All soldiers with arms I detain. There are now nearly eighty of he latter here. It is my intention, as soon as Lieutenant Smith returns, The reports favorably, to take my company and go to Cabin Creek with transportation after the wounded, leaving my camp in charge of come one of the commissioned officers now here, and detain all strag glers that may arrive, which, in addition to those already here, will ender my camp secure while my company is in the face of the enemy. The latest news received is up to 9 o'clock yesterday morning, when inding themselves completely surrounded and exposed to a withering ire, those yet on the field cut their way through and escaped. Lieuzenant Clark, Fourteenth Kansas (now here), cut his way through with six men, losing one, and bringing five safely into camp. Captain Ledger, Sixth Kansas, who was reported killed, arrived here a short time since. All who witnessed it, speak in terms of the highest praise of his daring charge at the head of twelve men upon the rebel battery.

The following is a list of the officers now at this post: Capt. H. P. Ledger, Company L, Sixth Kansas; Capt. Thomas Stevenson, Company H, Fourteenth Kansas; Capt. J. W. Duff, Company M, Sixth Kansas; Lieut. W. H. Kendall, Company E, Second Indian; Lieut. Benj. H. Whitlow, Company H, Third Indian; Lieut. A. F. Bicking, Company A, First Indian; Lieut. W. B. Clark, Company E, Fourteenth Kansas; Lieut. W. P. Phillips, Company B, Second Kansas; Lieut. E. W. Lucas, Company G, Sixth Kansas; Lieut. Levi F. Stewart, Company I, Sixth Kansas; Lieut. J. Brooks, Company M, Sixth Kansas. Several of the above-named officers will proceed to Fort Scott to


Lieutenant Jennings, Company D, Fourteenth Kansas, is supposed to have been captured, and is reported by officers now here as being in a state of beastly intoxication when last seen on the field.

In conclusion I have the honor to request that you will inform the commanding officer that any re-enforcements for this post will be most thankfully received.

Lieut. W. H. MORRIS,


Captain, Commanding Company.

Acting Post Adjutant, Humboldt, Kans.

HDQRS. COMPANY E, FIFTEENTH KANSAS VOL. CAVALRY, Osage Catholic Mission, Kans., September 25, 1864. SIR: I have the honor to forward the following details in relation to the late raid:

On Tuesday, 20th instant, 2 a. m., messenger arrived from Cabin Creek, reporting train captured. By 8 o'clock Tuesday stragglers began to arrive, confirming first report. Officers who had arrived earnestly requested me to send subsistence and transportation forward for the relief of the wounded. I dispatched Lieutenant Smith with a detachment and a wagon with rations. During Tuesday p.m. they continued to arrive in large numbers, and were positive that scores on the road would be overtaken and murdered if not assisted. Wednesday morning I placed Lieutenant Brooks, of the Sixth Kansas, in command of all

stragglers at this post, and at the earnest solicitation of all officers pres ent started for the scene of disaster with my company, a detachment of the Third Wisconsin, and some Osage braves, who had volunteered as scouts and guides, taking two wagons with rations and forage. Scores were met on Wednesday. Wednesday night encamped on the Neosho, six miles above mouth of La Bette. At 2 a. m. Thursday messen ger arrived with order to return. By 3.30 a. m. was on the road to Mission. Main body with teams arrived in camp at 11 a. m. bringing in over twenty sufferers. I have succeeded in saving, besides the lives of those nearly famished, several thousand dollars' worth of Government property. I got five mules yesterday brought in by Osages, whom I promised coffee and sugar for all property brought in. Two men from Companies C and G, Second Kansas, came in yesterday from the Arkansas River. They were taken prisoners at Flat Rock, brought by the rebels within four miles of the battle-field at Cabin Creek, and taken south after the capture of the train and made their escape at the crossing of the Arkansas. They report as follows:

The rebel force was composed of the Seventh, Twenty-ninth, Thirtieth, and Thirty-first Regiments Texas Cavalry, two Creek and one Seminole regiment, and a six-gun battery. They attacked the force at Flat Rock on Friday, having previously murdered the two companies of negroes stationed below. James M. Carlton, Company C, Second Kansas, one of the escaped prisoners mentioned above, reports Corpl. Robert Hamp ton, Privates James H. Davis, James Ledgewood, Bailey Duval, and Marion Thompson missing and supposed killed; Sergts. John Q. Farmer, G. Gugler, and James M. Nance, Corpl. Andrew W. Davis, Privates Peter Smith, William Stubblefield, Frank Thomas, Ezra Benson, Jacob Milliman, David Beigert, John Van Horn, Thomas Hickey, Amos Taylor, and John M. Taylor prisoners; Private William Pineger wounded and prisoner; all of Company C, Second Kansas. Private Louis Hammer, Company G, Second Kansas, the other escaped prisoner, reports Sergeant McDougal and Private Smith killed; Sergt. John Tuxson and Private A. Frank Corbin wounded and prisoners; First Lieutenant Straw, Second Lieutenant Miller, Sergts. A. Jackson Hanna, and John Bousfield, Corpls. Frank White, Clark, and William T. Ainsworth, Privates Fuller, Riner Yelkin, John Harmon, James Mahoney, Dean, Henry Whiteday, Goodwin, Parker, and Edward B. Test prisoners. The rebels took over the Arkansas about 150 prisoners, 100 being soldiers, the remainder citizens and teamsters. They left Perryville, Ark., on Tuesday, instant, with four days' rations. A portion of the force was from Boggy Depot, Ark. They had five negro soldiers prisoners, the remainder they killed, some thirty in number. Of the citizens taken prisoners Mr. Twist, Mr. Martin (hay contractor), and Mr. Beach and family (the latter released and set at liberty), are mentioned. The rebels arrived at the Arkansas crossing on Tuesday evening, when they were met by General Cooper with another force to assist them over with the fruits of their expedition and cover their retreat to Perryville. They effected the crossing about 10 o'clock Tuesday night. The above-named escaped prisoners report the rebels highly elated at their success. A teamster from below has just come in, having been without food since last Sunday, a week to-day. He has been lying in the timber mostly, being afraid to venture out. I remain, colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Captain, Commanding Company.

Lieut. Col. GEORGE H. HOYT,
Fifteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry.

No. 10.

[ocr errors]

Reports of Maj. Gen. Samuel B. Maxey, C. S. Army, commanding District of Indian Territory.


Fort Towson, C. N., September 16, 1861.

GENERAL: I herewith inclose a letter* received last night from General Cooper containing some important information as well as the outline of the move Gano and Watie are now on, as shown by copy of General Gano's letter forwarded yesterday. I respectfully call your attention to the outline of campaign for this district as drawn by me June 27 last. I have long thought that movements of this kind were most valuable for this district. I call your attention to General Cooper's suggestion that the whole of the Indian division go on this move with Watie to Kansas. Several days ago I directed General Cooper to increase Watie's force, if he could spare the men from the rest of the division. As this is a proposition Watie made, I have not thought it advisable to send the whole Indian force, as he might regard himself overslaughed on his own proposition, but expressed the opinion to General Cooper that the troops organized for the new Creek brigade might be spared for this enterprise. So it is, these movements in my opinion will be more valuable (and moves similar) in this district than any that could be made by this command elsewhere. I would be glad to know as early as practicable the part we will have to play. Very respectfully, general, your obedient servant, S. B. MAXEY, Major-General, Commanding.

Brig. Gen. W. R. BOGGS,

Chief of Staff, Shreveport, La.

It will be observed that the move of Gano and Watie is a dash that will not interfere with the main move of Watie to Kansas.

S. B. M.

Fort Towson, C. N., September 27, 1864.

GENERAL: I have the honor to inclose official dispatch of Brig. Gen. Stand Watie, dated 21st instant, giving report of the fight at Cabin Creek on the 19th; also General Cooper's' letter of transmittal, dated Camp Pike, 25th, and extract of letter from Maj. L. H. Oliver, depot commissary at Perryville, to Capt. M. L. Bell, assistant adjutant-general here, of same date. Cabin Creek, where the fight took place, is on the Fort Gibson, and Fort Scott road, fifty miles from the former place. Watie was, as his dispatch shows, on Bird Creek on the 21st, two days after the fight. This is about the same distance west-northwest from Gibson. He is evidently giving a wide berth to Gibson, crossing the Arkansas considerably above that point. As he was not pursued on the 21st, as I infer from his dispatch, the only danger was in a force striking his left flank as he came out. The steps taken to meet that (which I do not think likely) will, I think, be sufficient. This expedition was a gallant undertaking, handsomely performed, and the troops

[ocr errors][merged small]

engaged deserve the thanks of their country. Should Major Oliver be right in his statement that the wagons were laden with sutlers' stores and clothing, it will be most fortunate not only in supplying to a degree the ragged command but will I hope disaffect those for whom I presume they were designed-the Pin Indians.

Very respectfully, general, your obedient servant,

Brig. Gen. W. R. BOGGS,

Chief of Staff, Shreveport, La.


Full particulars will be forwarded as soon as received.

Capt. M. L. BELL,


S. B. M.

Perryville, C. N., September 25, 1864.

Assistant Adjutant-General:


CAPTAIN: I will give you synopsis of latest news just received. Gurley, Gano, and Watie captured, on the 19th at Cabin Creek, C. N., over 250 wagons, 120 prisoners. Our loss slight. Only 130 wagons were saved; balance burned. They were loaded with

clothes and sutler's stores.

L. H. OLIVER, Major and Commissary of Subsistence.


Fort Towson, C. N., September 30, 1864. GENERAL: I have the honor to forward herewith official copies of dispatches received this morning, as follows: Letter of Brig. Gen. D. H. Cooper, inclosing dispatches, September 27; dispatch from Brig. Gen. R. M. Gano, September 23 instant; dispatch from Brig. Gen. Stand Watie, same date; memoranda of information of enemy's movements furnished by Capt. J. N. Hildebrand, September 26. I have the satisfaction of saying that these dispatches exhibit the full and complete success of the enterprise, of which you have been previously advised. There has not been a more daring or successful raid according to size during the whole war, and the officers and men engaged are entitled to the thanks of the country. Cabin Creek, where the main fight took place, is fifty miles north of Fort Gibson.

On the 23d they had crossed and got twenty miles south of Arkansas River and sixty miles west of Fort Gibson, from which point they could reach General Cooper's camp at Fishertown in one or two days. Fishertown is four or five miles north of North Fork Town, on the Fort Gib son road. There is an excellent road from North Fork Town to Perryville, distance about forty miles.

I shall issue a complimentary general order, and respectfully request that the same be done by department headquarters, believing the gal lant officers and men who have won this signal success fully deserve it, and its effect will be inspiring on all concerned. "

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Brig. Gen. W. R. BOGGS,

Chief of Staff, &c., Shreveport, La.





Near North Fork Town, September 26, 1864.

rig. Gen. D. H. COOPER,

Commanding, &c.:

GENERAL: On the 21st of September I started for Gibson, and arrived the vicinity of that place on the morning of the 24th, and obtained the llowing information, viz: That General Watie had attacked a Federal ain on Cabin Creek, stampeded the Federals, and captured the whole ain, killing a considerable number of mules, burned a large number wagons, and left with the remainder of the train. Was pursued by he Federals and whipped them back. Was followed a second time, ad by a larger force, under command of Colonel [Major] Foreman, which turned to Gibson without meeting any success, and reported that the emy (rebels) had got off with eighty wagons loaded with sutler's oods and commissary stores, including $8,000 worth of blanks [blankts]. After giving up the idea of recapturing the train about 100 ndians were sent to Mackey's Salt-Works to make salt, and Colonel Major] Foreman with his command was sent to Kansas to fit out an ther train. I also learned that General Watie destroyed all their hay n the west side of Grand River which had been put up and salted down. 'here is a small lot of hay near Gibson, east. The force at Gibson onsists of three Indian regiments and two companies of negroes, estiated at about 1,500 men, and three pieces of artillery (all that my formant knew anything about). On the 23d instant the Thirteenth Kansas Infantry and one negro regiment of infantry were encamped t Dick Thompson's, near Gibson. On the 24th they broke camp and eft, going in the direction of Fort Smith, and encamped for the night on Greenleaf Prairie sixteen miles from Gibson. The Federals, number not known, have been leaving Fort Smith for some time and going in the direction of Springfield, Mo. There is at this time a very small orce at Fort Smith. I further learned that John or Johnson Thompson, of General Watie's command, got drunk and went to sleep, and when he awoke, seeing a body of men and supposing they were Watie's nen went to them, and finding they were Federals surrendered. Was arried to Gibson and kept until he was sober, and then marched out and publicly shot.

I am, general, respectfully, your obedient servant,


Fort Towson, C. N., October 1, 1864. GENERAL: A private letter received by me this morning from General Gano, dated Camp Bragg, September 29, shows that the expedition under Gano and Watie has got out safely. Camp Bragg is two miles south of Johnston's Depot on the Canadian, on south side of Canadian and near and to the left of the road leading from Perryville to Fort Gibson (the emigrant road). This is all right and I apprehend no further fears as to the safety of the captured property. General Gano says, I brought in 120 wagons and 740 mules. He further says clothing was issued to 2,000 men-1,200 of his brigade and 800 of Watie's. This is a perfect godsend, as the command was literally ragged. The official reports will be forwarded as early as received. I rejoice at this great

« PreviousContinue »